Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss What do you expect from an apprentice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all hope this is in the right section.
I have been extremely lucky in getting an apprenticeship at my ripe old age (24) and I was wondering what tips or hints you guys and gals got for me to help me and the company I'll be working for.
I have a decent amount of hand tools, pens and paper and an eagerness to learn(sorry about that bit lol)
So if you have any tips on how to make it more enjoyable or smoother then it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Dave.

one thing that ****es me off more than anything

if unsure ask
if you do something wrong tell me
if you dont know what to do next ask

always show a wiling ness to work, if theres nothing for you to do and your not watching/learning find something to do even if its just brushing up or making a brew

always ask questions
and ask if your unsure even just a little
also push yourself to learn, if your watching someone do something ask if you can have a go/do the next one

+1 for knowing your way round the van, Also think gratitude goes a long way, it's a small token for someone's knowledge and know how

You will be better than my last apprentice, who had done 2 years on a full time level 2 plumbing course, but failed to identify a soil pipe and tried to core a waste through a 9" solid wall with my new bosch spade bits!!!

A question for you guys who currently have apprentices, or who have had them in the past...

Have you had any training in, or done any research into, management or teaching methodologies?

If you have an apprentice, you are both a manager and a teacher. Both of these are genuine professions in their own right, and are at least as hard to master as plumbing. Lord knows, most of us have experience of the difference between a skilled manager or teacher, and the less skilled who have the job-title but not the ability, just as we have all seen work done by people who thought they could do plumbing.

The trouble is, in my experience, the best managers are not always those who have been on management training courses, and the best teachers are often not found in classrooms. Its a conundrum.

Leave your phone in the van is the biggest for me.

When you first start it will be boring as you won't be asked to do much but watch and try to work out what your trainer will need before he asks you and have it ready.

Although every body else says if you have nothing else to do tidy up. I hate that as although it might look like chaos when I'm working but if you move my kit I will go to pot. So ask if they want you to tidy up.

Don't be shy! Ask questions, speak to customers, other trades. Always be polite.

Say you are working in your own area and you've finished the job, dont just pack your tools up and come back. Tidy the area as well. Materials back in right places

Test test test

Plumbing can be stressful and someone may raise their voice to you. Don't take it the wrong way if it's every now and again but then also don't become a punching bag!

A question for you guys who currently have apprentices, or who have had them in the past...

Have you had any training in, or done any research into, management or teaching methodologies?

If you have an apprentice, you are both a manager and a teacher. Both of these are genuine professions in their own right, and are at least as hard to master as plumbing. Lord knows, most of us have experience of the difference between a skilled manager or teacher, and the less skilled who have the job-title but not the ability, just as we have all seen work done by people who thought they could do plumbing.

The trouble is, in my experience, the best managers are not always those who have been on management training courses, and the best teachers are often not found in classrooms. Its a conundrum.
I have been all three Ray, no good at any of them but you are correct apprentices are often either give to or taken on, by a trades person with no thought as to whether they have the skills to teach and it is a two way thing.
Great rewards await when it works well, for both parties. When it doesn't "well it's always the apprentices fault" and some times it is but not always.

Still think most good teacher are born not made, still have to work at it mind but you need a passion for your subject as well as a very sound knowledge, two very undervalued skills nowadays in my humble.

did loads of management training in the RN, along with a fair bit of training techniques as we were always preparing for the worst to make things easy when they eventually happened. When I had lads with me, my first pointer to them all was turn up on time, if you want my help dont waste my time making me wait for you. Thereafter I will try and teach you if you want to learn watch n ask, simple methodology and works, especially when after watching you go, your turn now lets see how you do...talk me through what your doing. Only trouble was I found that out of the 6 I took on 5 couldnt turn up on time so after they were late twice I never waited to find out why, if that didnt improve their time keeping they got told to stay in bed. The one decent lad who really had the ability and skill just gave up as he didnt like plumbing!!! so after him I gave up taking them on.

Don't go snooping in customer's underwear drawers as it will earn you a black eye, as my apprentice can testify.

Make sure to identify different fittings and what there for ASAP.
Learn different tools and there uses ASAP
Learning to hang rads is a priority, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What do you expect from an apprentice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have issues with my heating systems and find it all very confusing. Everyday the system loses pressure so I wake up daily and fill the system...
Replies
Views
P
I currently live in a 4 bed end of terrace victorian house, with 11 radiators and two towel rails. Currently have installed a 6kw potterton gold...
Replies
Views
We are an apprentice training agency and are currently are working with a young man who has been undertaking a Level 2 Plumbing Apprenticeship. He...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
So it is time for me to scrap my vivaro which has just be written off my the insurance company after someone crashed into the van while parked...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock