Search the forum,

Discuss What can't you touch if you're not GSR? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twitchboy

I know you can't touch anything that is directly connected to gas, such as pipework, meters, gas valves etc. However, can you take the cover off a boiler and perhaps change a PCB, heat exchanger, diverter valve or any other components on the 'wet' side of a gas appliance? Some say you can but others say you can't. I know that if you're not GSR then you'd be well advised not touching any part of a gas appliance but is it actually illegal for someone who is not GSR to touch a non gas component?

You can't carry out "WORK" on gas appliances.

Work would involve the use of tools.

Removing any covers other than lift up flaps to access timers or temperature controls would need tools.

Any work may affect the safe / efficient working of the appliance, you need to know how to check it's safe once the work is finished.

Just because a pcb doesnt use gas doesnt mean you can touch it , this is why GSR only , so please dont try anything thats remotely related to gas and if your having a problem call in a proffessional as we cannot and will not give out any advice on any gas related topics

The pcb is a GSR component because the boiler and anything inside is GSR mate hope that answers your question

scenario 1- you change the pcb, try to turn back on, everything is dead - what now?
2 - you change pcb, boiler fires up, working, how do you test that it is working to manufacturers standards?
what tests would you be doing.

the simplest thing is to leave any boiler work to someone who is able to do the complete job/tests required.

There was a TB about this a few years ago which described the work that could be done by a non gas, will see if I can look it out later

the first question is can i remove the case?
alot of modern boilers the case forms part of the combustion seals so you need to be gsr to touch is. (yes even if your a sparks trying to wire it up)

After that you can change stuff like a pump, system controls, etc...... but most of the parts that form part of the combustion process cant be touched like...... fan, pcb, primary HX, gas valve, safety controls, any seal.

so i would say unless you are 100% sure about the boiler and what you can touch you should not even remove the case.

as kirk has said theres a TB about it.

have a read of tb043 and tb014. other may also apply.

You can do anything. Legally tho u not even permitted to sniff the case. Or wipe the flue.
Read this

Gas safety installation and use regulations. / a brief overview.

Don't worry fellas. I'm not touching anything gas related until I get my ticket/GSR. I'm just asking because there appears to be a bit of discrepancy between what some gas fitters say you can and can't touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What can't you touch if you're not GSR? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock