Discuss Well out of order! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Boys,

I don't do gas myself - but the landlord sent his guy round to do a gas saftey test the other day.

Due to the hob having a few knobs missing and the boiler playing up he has disconnected both. He could not identify whether a stat (that was damaged) was still connected to the boiler even though I told him it was not. I was not informed of any failed tightness tests or the like. No warning sticker have been put on the appliances!

Futhermore the cheeky git has actually sliced through the gas main capping it off!!!!!!!

I think the landlord is late on doing this test which might explain the gas engineers attitude and general rudeness.

Is this acceptable as I guess he has been over zealous? Can i report my landlord for failing to do the test within a year (could be 18 months or more)

Can he do all of this just because of 'damaged controls' as he claims?

(ps - the guy is a git! After doing this he told me he could not replace boiler for 2 weeks!!!!!)

Thanks guys!

Landlords are deemed to do checks once a year, but not sure how to proceed or what to do as tenant. I think you should be able to contact somebody in this case. At the end, you live in the property which could be dangerous.

sounds like the engineer was correct in disconnecting the appliances. He/she should have labled up and provided a warning notice with details of faults. The fact he cant come back and fit a new boiler for two weeks is probably because he is booked up and cant fit it in till then..... how this makes him a git i dont know?.

We cant really comment on the engineers general atitude as we were not there but your landlord should have made sure the tests were done every 12 months.

The Gas Engineer seems to have forgotten the, "With the permission of the responsible person, Disconnect and make safe" bit.

The responsible person could well be deemed to be the landlord. That was certainly the view taken when I did HA work.

The Gas Engineer seems to have forgotten the, "With the permission of the responsible person, Disconnect and make safe" bit.

yes ,but if its not present the landlord and appliances are ID ,to me he/she has done it as I would have

Not forgetting that peoples lives could be at risk here and the engineer acted appropriate and is not a git at all

with the agreement of the responsible person always seems a dodgy one to me, what if its dangerous and they wont let you? you have to report it, if it needs capping it needs capping

No problem at all. Just give the gas transporter a call and they will come out and disconnect the gas to the premises. I've actually been on to the phone to transco before a customer would allow me to disconnect an appliance.

If its an id situation and the responsible person wont allow you to cap it off the course of action you must take is to call TRANSCO or who ever does your area, and inform them. TRANSCO will cut the supply off in the street.

They also charge the customer when its time to turn back on. Supplied with this info custards tend to allow you to cap the appliance off

My issue is the guy was rude and obnoxious primarily. Don't take my rant personally - I am a plumber too!

No he did not explain things properly to me - and certainly did not tell me he was going to cap off the gas supply.

Although I am a plumber I do not know the gas safe regs which is why I am asking you guys!

No one has said whether he could do all of this just because of damaged controls - no gas leaks, no failed tightness tests or dodgy flues!!!!

I want to know whether it is the gas regs which are over the top or whether it is the gas engineer.

And he is a git because he was rude to me and rather than explain the situation properly to me he actually began a rant and was blaming me for not letting him in the property sooner (despite I had no clue that the test was due).

I understand he might be busy - however a combi boiler swap can be done in a day. EVen though you might be busy if you switched off someones boiler leaving them with no hot water or heating do you think it is acceptable to expect them to wait for 2 weeks!!!!!

This is an emergency - therefore I am sure he could re-juggle things to fit me in earlier.

I know if I get an emergency I shift jobs all over the place to fit it in - it is part of the trade . . .

Thanks for your support!

Hmm!

Yes if the landlord is deemed the responsible person and the engineer has his or her permission to do so, the engineer can cut and cap off the boilers gas supply. In fact with damaged boiler controls I would say he had no choice other than to do so. Yes he should have explained it to you. Yes it should be tested every twelve months.

I am afraid its usually Pensioners and families with kids get priority over others when it comes to waiting times.

Could you not ask your landlord to employ a different contractor to replace the boiler, if boiler has had to be capped due to damage which was fair wear & tear can you not request its repair / replacement be carried out quickly as with no hot water or cooking you will have to move out (maybe you could withhold rent for this time as a minimum) I would be checking my tenancy agreement.

there may be more to it than the fitter has let on landlord could be a bad payer and other work will take pecidence
knobs on cooker is at best ncs
a damaged roomstat could be seen as imediately dangerous electrically but only if its connected
you say the boiler was playing up in what way?
maybe the history of this boiler tells the engineer its not worth repairing there does come a point where they are to much trouble
some landlords are adverse to paying for anything extra on a lsc so its easier to cap than repair for nowt

Last edited:
You need to find out why it was capped off, he should have left a report if not then ask the landlord. Also if you a renting a place that now doesnt have a boiler or cooker for a long period of time I would be looking to hold back a bit of rent for the inconvenience.

My issue is the guy was rude and obnoxious primarily. Don't take my rant personally - I am a plumber too!

No he did not explain things properly to me - and certainly did not tell me he was going to cap off the gas supply.

Although I am a plumber I do not know the gas safe regs which is why I am asking you guys!

No one has said whether he could do all of this just because of damaged controls - no gas leaks, no failed tightness tests or dodgy flues!!!!

I want to know whether it is the gas regs which are over the top or whether it is the gas engineer.

And he is a git because he was rude to me and rather than explain the situation properly to me he actually began a rant and was blaming me for not letting him in the property sooner (despite I had no clue that the test was due).

I understand he might be busy - however a combi boiler swap can be done in a day. EVen though you might be busy if you switched off someones boiler leaving them with no hot water or heating do you think it is acceptable to expect them to wait for 2 weeks!!!!!

This is an emergency - therefore I am sure he could re-juggle things to fit me in earlier.

I know if I get an emergency I shift jobs all over the place to fit it in - it is part of the trade . . .

Thanks for your support!
Why so much anger in your post?

thanks boys i appreciate the feedback!

I am angry with the landlord as he has made me live in a mold filled flat for the last 6 months or more to the point where I have had to take him to court and call in environmental health in!

consequently i am somewhat stressed - well spotted!

Thanks again.

thanks boys i appreciate the feedback!

I am angry with the landlord as he has made me live in a mold filled flat for the last 6 months or more to the point where I have had to take him to court and call in environmental health in!

That explains the attitude and actions of the Gas guy, the Landlord wants you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Well out of order! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock