Discuss Water softener advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

impo

Evening ,
i would like advice on buying a water softener please,
Quite simple really what is best and what extra running costs are there I have a 3 bed 1 bath and 1 shower house with 2 kids
thanks mark

The costs differ from property to property as peoples uses are different. Also some softeners use electricity others not. But on average in an averaged sized house 15p - 30p a day.

Thanks if you were going to fit a softener for a customer or yourself is there a particular one you would fit or recommend

I have fitted a few different makes and all seem good I would go into local plumbers merchant and see whats on offer

I have had a couple of makes over the years, starting off with Permutit, which was fault free. Alas spares became difficult to get when my brother left Permutit!!

You can go for cheap and replace often or pay more and have less problems. Try to avoid the timer models which regenerate automatically irrespective of the amount of water you have used.

There are a couple of makes out there which use block salt (much easier to carry and replace) and have twin cylinders which means that you use one cylinder when the other is regenerating, the change over is automatic, so that you never allow hard water into your system. With the single cylinder models there will be a by-pass that allows hard water into your system when the softener is regenerating. That is why they are normally set to regenerate during the night every couple of three days or so. All depends on how hard your water is...

I have had my current softener for 15 years and it has been trouble free - only have to replace the salt blocks every six weeks or so.

Think of it as a long term investment and you will not go wrong.

Think Kinetico/Harvey/Crown - all twin cylinders and all regenerate on volume used. I have not seen any of these makes at a plumbers' merchant!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water softener advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock