Discuss Water not hot after changing Room Thermostat in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

HI All
My room thermostat (Digistat 1) gave up the ghost in the summer so I replaced it with a Digistat+3 (same backplate)
It was fine until recently (it had got colder!) when I noticed that the radiators were not as hot as they used to be and the hot water was not as hot
For example: I can shower using just hot water (no cold required)
The heating is now on , the controller is showing a flame (and has been for ages) but the radiators are only luke warm.
So I am confused as I did not think the room thermostat affected the water temperature!!
But there is a small grey box in the side of the HW tank with wires coming out of it which go into the same collection of wires as the pump wires. So I guess this might be a temperature sensor.
But I cant see anywhere on the digistat3+ to set water temperature nor anywhere on the hot water tank

Any suggestions as to how I get hotter water?

Attachments

• Hot water tank and wires.jpg
    Hot water tank and wires.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 26
You should have a timer somewhere as the stat is just for the heating to the rads

Thermal store

The only other timer is on the boiler and that turns on and off when it supposed to. But I dont think the issue is not turning the heat on rather that the water is not hot enough. Must presumably be a temperature control somewhere to stop the water from boiling?
I'll try the boiler 'boost' button (turns it on regardless of the timer) tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

It works in reverse to a stnd hot water cylinder so at a guess the right red pump should be on when the store needs heating (should be an arrow point up on the body of the pump)

Situation much better this morning.
Pipes same temp above and below both pumps (both throbbing nicely)
Red has arrow but it points down?! - IIRC I replaced this pump a few years ago. Did I screw up? It seems to work OK
Hot water back at normal temp
Will check (Again) stat timing and see how things progress thru the day.
Thanks to all who have responded

Last edited:
Trusting that the flex hanging from the choc. block on the left of the photo is a temporary arrangement while you investigate! It needs making safe by an enclosure incorporating cable strain relief, and no visible single insulation. But you know all that!

Situation much better this morning.
Pipes same temp above and below both pumps (both throbbing nicely)
Red has arrow but it points down?! - IIRC I replaced this pump a few years ago. Did I screw up? It seems to work OK
Hot water back at normal temp
Will check (Again) stat timing and see how things progress thru the day.
Thanks to all who have responded

That’s the one to the rads ok the green one is from the boiler so when boosting / turning on this one should run

Reply to Water not hot after changing Room Thermostat in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock