Search the forum,

Discuss Water level drops in pan after an hour… in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey Guys

I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern.

If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple of inches. The soil stack is just on the outside wall so not far to travel. There is no water obvious leak and toilet has been working fine for about 15yrs.

With my simple brain, a few forums I’ve read mention partial blockage. However I don’t get how a partial blockage can cause a slow drain of water from the pan. The only thing I’d expect would be a leak but no sign

Have you noticed any smells or anything? If you could post a few pics it might help our members to give you better advice!

Most likely, the section of pipe from your toilet is not vented properly. If you watch the water in the toilet continuously you may spot it oscillating up and down when another toilet flushes (or bath empties) elsewhere on the system. The oscillation will cause some of the water in the trap to spill over into to drain.

Most likely, the section of pipe from your toilet is not vented properly. If you watch the water in the toilet continuously you may spot it oscillating up and down when another toilet flushes (or bath empties) elsewhere on the system. The oscillation will cause some of the water in the trap to spill over into to drain.
Since there is unlikely to be pressure above the water level, it looks like occasional syphoning.. a vacuum, the other side

Sorry I’ve been away all week and back home now.

More than happy to get pictures if it helps. But the setup is pretty simple. The en-suite has an exclusive soil pipe in the outside wall and is connected to 3 items (toilet, shower, wash hand basin). The soil stack is very close to all of these with very little to travel. So far I have.

1. Taken a ladder to the soil stack and inspected. The vent at the top is clear with no debris.
2. I’ve disconnected the vertical pipe and had all items running or flushing and can see water flowing well.
3. The toilet itself flushes well.
4. I’ve opened inspection hole which is very close to the bottom of the soil stack and that seems all clear.
5. I’ve raised the water level in the cistern by adjusting the ball valve.

Pulling my hair out here as no obvious cause or leak. The only recent change I’ve made is that the ball valve wasn’t closing and water was overflowing. So I replaced that whole assembly a few months ago without issue.

Ok, I have gotten to the bottom of it.

I've pulled out the toilet and disconnected the pan connector and there is a lodged wet wipe hanging from the back of the pan connector into the soil pipe. That has been drawing the water from the bowl into the pipe. Capillary motion I think the word is.

Bloody wet wipes!!!

Reply to Water level drops in pan after an hour… in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock