Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Water leaking after fitting new shower cubicle and panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Baddeley

Hi,

we we recntly moved into a new flat to find the ensuite bathroom had a terrible water leak from the shower cubicle in the past. It was so bad that the floor had rotted away with damp.

i asked a plumber/bathroom fitter to replace the entire shower cubicle and flooring. He did this and it looked like a good job from the photos he sent us. He replaced the floorboards and had a plasterer to plaster the walls behind the shower cubicle. He then fitted one piece splash panels behind a totally new shower enclosure.

Within 30 seconds of the first shower we noticed water dripping from both sides at the bottom of the shower enclosure. We called him and he came around immediately to run a bead of mastic up the inside corner of the shower. I told him that I was worried that this looked like a temporary fix and that I was worried he did not fit the splash panels (and corner profile) correctly. The mastic stopped the leak for a few more showers but it has started to leak again.

My theory is that he did not follow manufacturers recommendation to run a bead of mastic up both sides of the corner profile before putting in the splash panels.

Has anyone got some suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to fix it before I go back to the plumber again?

Yes there should be a bead of mastic up both sides in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.
This can also happen if the shower enclosure has been sealed to the tray on the inside.
The tray should only be sealed to the enclosure on the outside and not inside so as not to trap water within the enclosure, which will then find a way out.
Also there should be a line of silicone sealant from top to bottom down the joint between the wall channels and the splash back and a line of silicone sealant from top to bottom down the joint where the door/ inline panel slots into the wall channels and where the door slots into the inline panel.

I would be a bit wary of the last post. Various manufacturers have different requirements for sealant. Some require inside, some require behind the mounting extrusions some don't. Some outside some don't. The more money you pay for your enclosure, the less sealant is needed and as the materials are thicker and stronger there is less movement so less chance of leakage. Whatever the manufacturer always follow the installation instructions for sealant placement and type or else warranties will be voided.

By splash back I presume you mean something like Aquaboard? If not installed correctly it is a leak waiting to happen. A better lasting finish is to waterproof and ceramic tile, especially if you are doing a refurb of the room.
Unfortunately once water has leaked, materials have got damp or wet, silicone will never work until it is all bone dry. You may get some Acrylic sealants to work but they are very short term in my experience and usually have no mould resistance.

As has been said all manufacturers vary but I don't remember seeing many that recommended beading the inside as this traps water. The most common is behind the profile and up the outside of the enclosure

I had a shower leak once traced to the enclosure being sealed on the inside. The wall profile was filling up with water and leaking into the wall via the fixing hole. Cured by drilling 10 mm hole in the bottom of the profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water leaking after fitting new shower cubicle and panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock