Search the forum,

Discuss Water doesn't fill under cistern lid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey lads,

Trying to fix a toilet for a lady friend (to make a good impression, you know) but having a hard time. It doesn't flush, and the only it does is when I use the hose from the shower and fill up the tank with water. Once it gets to a certain point, it flushes okay, but obviously it isn't practical to keep doing this when she wants to use it!

I've compared it to another toilet in her house, and the water level is around the same on both, only this one doesn't flush.

Any help is so hugely appreciated.

Got a piccy

This was taken right after a flush:

246vup0.png

Bit with the green top will need removing entirely. Flip it over and there will likely be shreds of a plastic diaphragm either replace the diaphragm or replace the whole siphon, as si above says make it A two part one so you don’t have to dismantle the whole toilet again in the future

Right so there's been a development. I can't get the green lid off. I don't even know how it comes off. But I flushed it again, by the same process of filling it up with shower water, but this time I watched the water get syphoned out and there's a lot of white residue when it's completely empty. It looks and feels like wet ravioli, but white. Is there any chance removing some of this will fix the problem?

No no the whole part not just the lid. You will need to remove the toilet cistern and remove the siphon from underneath

Less distance for the water to travel up to create the siphonic action. The diaphragm may not be completely shredded and can pull a little water up with it when you pul the flush handle

To remove that syphon you first have to remove the entire cistern (if it is tight down to pan - ‘close coupled’ type).
That means turning water off and disconnecting the nut below cistern to the fill valve and also nut to overflow.
Then under the pan at cistern you have 2 wing nuts to remove which often are rusted solid.
Also screws holding cistern to wall need removed and often idiots use rusting steel screws, so that is fun.
With cistern off, you can remove syphon large nut below and remove syphon. New syphon might not suit the length of wire link to handle, so beware.
You need new dome rubber washer between pan & cistern and perhaps washer for to fill valve (from copper pipe).
Risks are you could break the cistern, or leave leaks.
And customers often say it is just a wee job.
Personally I would advise getting a plumber.
Look after your lady in ways you are expert in. ;)

Oh yes. Those horrible ones with that stupid little plastic elbow that couples the cistern to pan and just disintegrates to a pile of dust or broken shards before your eyes...

Oh yes. Those horrible ones with that stupid little plastic elbow that couples the cistern to pan and just disintegrates to a pile of dust or broken shards before your eyes...

AARGH! I hate those so much! The slightest misalignment and the damn things leak and that's if they don't fall to bits as you say. The only time I ever pray (apart from turbulence just prior to landing) is when trying to reuse one of those.

Reply to Water doesn't fill under cistern lid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock