Discuss washing machine into same pipe as boiler condense. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

throwoff

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding plumbing in a Washing machine.

Our boiler is mounted on the wall above the space the washing machine will go into.
Thanks to the previous tennants wrecking the boiler we had to have all the piping replaced underneath so now the condense comes straight from the boiler via a straight pipe into the waste pipe.

I believe the correct procedure for installing the new washing machine is that our washing machine outlet will connect to a Ubend at the top of the waste pipe and will need to connect the condense below the ubend with a y join.

Sorry if any of that is gibberish, I am not a plumber by trade but feel providing my information is correct that the job can be undertaken by myself.

Below
are a coupe of images (please excuse the poor quality!) Could anyone confirm this is the right way to do it!

This is it currently

current.JPG

This is what I intend
neq.JPG

That will work. Poss a bit longwinded. I'd probably put a waterless hep trap on the existing downpipe and squeeze washing machine waste into top next to condense if it'll fit or cut in a adaptor if not. But that may be considered a bit of a bodge. Neater though.

Thanks mate.

One other question, I'm thinking to make it a simpler job of using flexible plastic pipe off the existing condense pipe into the new Y join. Should me a lot less cutting and faffing to make it all sit straight.

I know condense is slightly acidic which rules out metal pipe but can anyone forsee any problems using flexible plastic pipe?

They make overflows for bath waste O/F in the concertina fashion. It probably wouldn't suit condensate application, though I don't know for sure.

If I were you I'd just cut the vertical piece of waste pipe in your diagram and fit a washing machine standpipe and drop the condense straight into that without any alterations. Then you should be able to squeeze the hose from your w/m straight in there too.Should be a pretty quick, straightforward job. Should be...

A word of warning with condensate pipes and washing machines, use a non return valve on the condensate line.
During the recent cold winters the outlet from the waste pipes have been freezing (Yes 40mm !) THe washing machine then tries to pump its waste water down the pipe , its blocked with ice so goes up the condensate line and out the boiler , new pcb etc !

If I were you I'd just cut the vertical piece of waste pipe in your diagram and fit a washing machine standpipe and drop the condense straight into that without any alterations. Then you should be able to squeeze the hose from your w/m straight in there too.Should be a pretty quick, straightforward job. Should be...

As far as I can see this is the best answer yet providing that the boiler has a proper condense trap.
If the boiler has a proper condense trap then what the op is proposing could airlock not allowing the condense to drain from the boiler and forcing it to lock out, and it is highly embarassing when you open the boiler case and about a gallon of water pours out!!! had it on a Gloworm ultracom about 3 years ago

The recommended is as per your second diagram. Bellow the sink trap. Ensure the boiler has a condensate trap of at least 75mm cover fitted, otherwise you must fit one. As mentioned it is also good practice to fit a non-return valve in the line as it has been known for wast water to flood the boiler via the condensate under certain conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to washing machine into same pipe as boiler condense. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock