Search the forum,

Discuss washing machine installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Probably a stupid question but Ive got a job to fit a washing machine in an outside shed. There is a drain right next to it.

Is the reason you fit a trap on a washing machine purely to stop smells from comming back up? If so I could just run the washing machine waste into a piece of inch and a quarter pipe that goes to the drain as its outside.

A trap will stop small animals entering the property like field mice ect. as well as smells:whatchutalkingabout tho in a shed who cares

Last edited:
he's on about the transit bolts in the back of the machine to stop the drum moving. it's in the instructions.

Thanks everyone once again. I no it was a stupid question but I hadnt thought about vermin entering building through the waste. I havn't got to actuly fit the washing machine. All I have to do is run a pipe near to were it is to be installed. I have never heared of taking out bolts to stop the drum moving though?
The only washing machine I have ever fitted was my own and I didn't remove any bolts. Can someone please explain what you mean by this.

I installed one without a trap (before I knew about these things - occasional smell but nothing really.

And no self respecting rat or mouse would want to encounter my socks and smalls.

Thanks everyone once again. I no it was a stupid question but I hadnt thought about vermin entering building through the waste. I havn't got to actuly fit the washing machine. All I have to do is run a pipe near to were it is to be installed. I have never heared of taking out bolts to stop the drum moving though?
The only washing machine I have ever fitted was my own and I didn't remove any bolts. Can someone please explain what you mean by this.

When you get a new machine it comes with transit bolts to stop the drum moving about and damaging the machine whilst it is being transported. These need to be removed. If you bought yours second hand they may not have been fitted or the delivery drivers could have taken them out.

the water trap stops smells and bacteria entering the room, bad smells=bacteria, drains have methane gas also which we cant smell, gas suppliers add a chemical so we can smell it so you have natural gas, bacteria and disease from open drains

best to check the drain is soil and not rain water to soakaway/stream :sunny:

The transit bolts on our machine had big green washers so you couldn't miss them

Put a trap on the waste. You never know if a basket of just washed clothes might be left in the shed whilst another wash is being done. They could end up smelling like the drain:ack2:

Put a trap on and it will catch all the loose change lol

This just reminds me of when I fitted a washing machine for a disabled gent.Picked up the machine,installed it got paid,happy days or so I thought.An hour later phone rang and custard said to me this machine you just installed has walked across the floor !! I went back asap, this time I read the instructions "IMPORTANT MAKES SURE RETAINING BOLTS ARE RETRACTED BEFORE MACHINE IS SWITCHED ON" .Did I feel a proper muppet, that said its never gonna happen again :innocent:

Don't fit it in a shed, it will freeze. Have had to go out to a few over the last few winters. Frozen solid.

When you get a new machine it comes with transit bolts to stop the drum moving about and damaging the machine whilst it is being transported. These need to be removed. If you bought yours second hand they may not have been fitted or the delivery drivers could have taken them out.

thanks for clearing that up Mike

Don't fit it in a shed, it will freeze. Have had to go out to a few over the last few winters. Frozen solid.

I must admit I thought it was a bad idea but the customer is going to install the washing machine I am just doing the pipework and what the customer wants the customer gets :)

If the drain is a back inlet gully no need for trap as its already traped
But if not I'd put a washing machine trap in or puts make up a running trap out of fittings

....and that is one good reason not to have a trap!!!

I removed mine (it is in an outbuilding) because it froze last year! What a mess. The drain runs about 50 meters into the village ditch. This is France, after all!

I did the job today, fitted a trap, only problem was I think the trap I got was one that fits onto a sink. Is there one that will fit onto waste pipe?
I wanted to run a bit of waste pipe up from top of trap as it may overflow when machine is in use.

Did I buy the wrong trap?

That would be what I need thanks for that, I fitted the one below which is a sink trap. Thanks for that mate

the stand pipe on a washing machine tr5ap isnt 1 1/2 diameter (40mm) if you need to make one up use a male iron plastic fitting into the top of the trap

Yes steves correct if you want to use the existing trap youve got already, use a male iron plastic fitting with a cutting of 40mm. Should have mentioned that, ive misread the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to washing machine installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock