Discuss Vulcan Continental in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

psk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I came across this ancient piece of heavenly equipment three days ago.
I was called to fix it as it wouldnt switch on. i tested the gas valve and checked there was gas coming through upon inspection found that the ignition electrode was damaged and faulty. Rang most places including parts centre in vain.
Have you guys got an idea where i can get hold of this ignition electrode i might as well change the thermocouple and give the dinosaur a service.

cheers

I often feel like an undertaker in these circumstances. No matter what an environmentally objectionable character the deceased or near deceased might have been you have to be gentle and show suitable veneration. Trot out the well loved "they don't make them like this any more " and "the new ones might be more efficient but they won't last as long"...etc. It is all part of the grieving process and can help the customer come to terms with a sizeable expense.
Haha,,yes thats so funny.. i know what you mean and in fact i had a similar moment this morning at home when servicing my spacesaver 50 OF boiler !

Haha,,yes thats so funny.. i know what you mean and in fact i had a similar moment this morning at home when servicing my spacesaver 50 OF boiler !

you service your own boiler ?????? i only look at mine when it stops workingwhich isnt often with a vailant o/f

Last edited:
Ah the old Hattersley Vulcan Continental......

I remember working on these where they had no case and were built into a steel frame unit that had a cosybug or elson type cyliner above them.

To light the pilot you had to remove a 1 inch plug next to the sight glass which had a metal bull ring in it so you could light the pilot with a curved taper. The Honeywell valve above it was the old 6 wire type that when replaced you had to join the boiler and pump wires together and swap common and 1 on the cylinder stat.

The thermocouple could be replaced with a Q309a universal with a vocab number of 390 038 and we had 24 minutes to get to the job and gain access with 36 minutes to strip and service the boiler as they didn't have telegans in them days.

I can remember all these things from 30 years ago. What I can't remember is what the hell I did yesterday, where my bloddy van keys are and what the hell I was going to the van for anyway.

I wish I was back in the 80's doing half a days work for 2 days pay, playing snooker all night and kicking a ball at the weekends........love them old boilers.

Anyone for oiling the diaphragm on an old relay valve this weekend?

Ah the old Hattersley Vulcan Continental......

I remember working on these where they had no case and were built into a steel frame unit that had a cosybug or elson type cyliner above them.

To light the pilot you had to remove a 1 inch plug next to the sight glass which had a metal bull ring in it so you could light the pilot with a curved taper. The Honeywell valve above it was the old 6 wire type that when replaced you had to join the boiler and pump wires together and swap common and 1 on the cylinder stat.

The thermocouple could be replaced with a Q309a universal with a vocab number of 390 038 and we had 24 minutes to get to the job and gain access with 36 minutes to strip and service the boiler as they didn't have telegans in them days.

I can remember all these things from 30 years ago. What I can't remember is what the hell I did yesterday, where my bloddy van keys are and what the hell I was going to the van for anyway.

I wish I was back in the 80's doing half a days work for 2 days pay, playing snooker all night and kicking a ball at the weekends........love them old boilers.

Anyone for oiling the diaphragm on an old relay valve this weekend?

where do you store your zimmer frame in your van Dave? :)

Haven't got a van. Use my Raleigh Chopper with a basket on the front, you know, the one with the tassels coming out of the handles.......and if I find the bloke who put me zimmer in the scrap bag I'll kill him!

Yes one of my big bangs was with a vulcan continental. I had stripped it and serviced it,giving the flue ways a good raddling with my christmas tree shaped flue brush. I had had the burner tray out in the back garden and washed it. All assembled and i think the customer distracted me with a cup of tea. Anyway i was bent down removing the 1" plug, match stuck in end of flue brush handle,lit pilot,reached up,stat on..click..his his..kaboom in my face as the gas flared out,unable to go through the wet burner..happy days..only did that once..err...except for the time i serviced a space saver and clicked the stat on having forgotten to put the main burner back in...yoyve got to be fearless to work on the gas you know...

We used to get a lot of that on the old trident gas boilers. It was common knowledge that when you had to relight the pilot after the service the valve would let a bit of gas go.

Where did the gas go? Oh that would be straight to your mush and take an eyebrow out!

Used to go back to the depot the next day to the sound of, "Been up the Navy servicing Tridents" Yeeeep.......

Hi I have two of these beasts - they were in this house when I came and used to heat water and radiators in a 5 storey house. I only ever use the one for water and a few rads on the lower floors.

I'm now thinking / wanting to remove the one and probably the second too and putting in a modern combi boiler. Is there any mileage in trying to sell these ?are they worth anything do you think to anyone as spares or to use? These have been serviced about two years ago and chug along happily!

ANy advice please appreciated - thanks . JB

About a fiver each from the scrappie. Personally i'd sit them on the street and the fairies would disappear them in about half an hour

I just did that this pm with an ancient vaillant, popped it in the garden where I ripped it out in the local council estate, hoping it will be gone in the morning :), however, didnt leave the replacement boiler in the flat or that would definitely be gone in the morning!!! gonna supaglue the new one onto the wall :)

I posted last year about my mother's Vulcan Continental being near the end of it's life. And the friendly plumber (son of the man who installed it) has pretty much declared it only good for another year.

My question is what's the best modern equivalent. She doesn't want a combi (sensible) and a neighbour has had something by Worcester Bosch, the plumber says this is a very good choice. But he's unable to fit it in the chimney/flue setup that the Vulcan is currently using. Necessitating the new boiler to go on the ruddy wall (not something mum wants, if it can be avoided)

Any ideas? I'm no expert with installations though I can service the Vulcan. We still have the installation instructions but I don't live very close to mum and she's a complete technophobe.

There is no "equivalent", and no boiler will fit nto ANY old flue.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and let the plumber (Hopefuly actuall a Registered Gas Installer) get on with it. Just ask him to fit the simplest controls possible. There are no medals for being a dinosaur.

What is your beef with a Combi? True, they are not the best for all situations, and totally wrong for some, but probaby the the most common complaint (hot water cycling between hot & cold) is often due to carp installtions without proper cleansing. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vulcan Continental in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock