Search the forum,

Discuss Viessmann 100-W Heat Only and Weather Compensation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

We are a few months into our Viessmann Vitodens 100-W 19KW Heat Only boiler and it is working fine.
We replaced an old 1999 Baxi. Our house is a 2 bathroom 4 bed detatched, built 1999.

The engineer did not really know the Viessmann boiler and I am not convinced his approach of “turn everything up” was the right one! I have experimented with flow temp and pump flow rates and have a reasonable feel for that now.

Anyway, I am after some advice on weather compensation. It is clear that when it is colder (like when we had the cold snap), I have to up the flow temps into the 70 degree area... then when it is milder (like now today on Christmas Eve) I can be at 65 degs. Maybe lower... I see flow returns of around 12 degrees below the send temp. 65 degs send definitely buys me a circa 50 degree return.

Of course I am trying to keep flow temps as low as possible for efficiency and I do monitor send and return temps using little probes at the boiler.

We are using the Honeywell T6R-HW to programme room temp schedule and geofencing. This also does the DHW schedule.
Remember this is a Heat only version of the boiler. It does not support Opentherm.

So

1. If I fitted the outside weather compensation sensor and changed the boiler mode to weather compensation (having chosen a suitable heating curve and level)… How would we schedule central heating on/off with the Honeywell T6R? Can we do that? Would there be confusion? The T6R wants to cycle the command for heat based on room temperature and in weather compensation, the boiler is trying to follow a curve. How do you actually programme alternative heat targets for day and night as we do now? How would you turn the heating off when everyone is away as we do now with geofencing. Can the T6R and WC co-exist?

2. How does the DHW switching work in WC? Is it the same? … IE will the existing schedule for DHW in the T6R still work? Can a higher hot water priority flow temperature be set when we are calling for hot water?

It is really hard to find explanations of this stuff in the Viessmann manuals and I have read them all!

Thanks in advance
I hope you can help.
Mark

You can’t weather comp / you shouldn’t as you have a cylinder the only way you can but the heat only doesn’t support this is a 4 pipe system eg heat gets piped to the system boiler and cylinder gets also piped to the system boiler then you can have different flow temperatures

Sorry to say you need to remove / sack the weather comp off it and stick to on / off / optimised room temp as you need the flow out of the boiler set at 65dc else you could get legionella in your cylinder

You can’t weather comp / you shouldn’t as you have a cylinder the only way you can but the heat only doesn’t support this is a 4 pipe system eg heat gets piped to the system boiler and cylinder gets also piped to the system boiler then you can have different flow temperatures

Sorry to say you need to remove / sack the weather comp off it and stick to on / off / optimised room temp as you need the flow out of the boiler set at 65dc else you could get legionella in your cylinder
Thanks Shaun.
I never got hold of the weather comp sensor anyway. Have just been thinking about it and you are explaining that I should not do it. Understood.

My lowest flow (as set now) is indeed 65 degrees. When its super cold I need to go up (70 degs) to keep the radiators doing the job. I am surprised there is not a way of automating this a little.

Mark

Viessmann sell a Weather Compensating Kit – DHW for Vitodens 100-W Type B1GA: Heat Only Weather Compensating with domestic hot water cylinder:

Vitodens 100 B1GA Heat Only Weather Compensating Kit - DHW - https://viessmanndirect.co.uk/Catalogue/Accessories/Vitodens/Vitodens-100-W-B1GA-Heat-Only-to-32kW/Boiler-Accessories/Vitodens-100-B1GA-Heat-Only-Weather-Compensating-Kit-DHW-ZK07124

‘This is a simple accessory kit to upgrade an open vented boiler that is connected to a traditional S- or Y-plan system to a more efficient “4-pipe” system.’

Instructions here:

https://viessmanndirect.co.uk/files//de36168a-6a60-42b9-b0e4-ada60112a767/WB1B%20Compact%20Outdoor%20Sensor%20Instructions%20-%20Mod.pdf

The Cylinder demand control box requires an extra cable between the wiring centre (usually in the airing cupboard) and the boiler to tell the boiler when the demand is for the hot water cylinder.

Good luck finding a Gas Safe Engineer who is familiar with this. You could ask Viessmann.

VAT on energy-saving products​

If you are in Great Britain:
You’ll pay a rate of 0% VAT on both:
  • certain products supplied by your installer
  • the cost of all work to install those products in your home
The products that qualify for a lower rate of VAT are:
  • central heating and hot water controls

Viessmann sell a Weather Compensating Kit – DHW for Vitodens 100-W Type B1GA: Heat Only Weather Compensating with domestic hot water cylinder:

Vitodens 100 B1GA Heat Only Weather Compensating Kit - DHW - https://viessmanndirect.co.uk/Catalogue/Accessories/Vitodens/Vitodens-100-W-B1GA-Heat-Only-to-32kW/Boiler-Accessories/Vitodens-100-B1GA-Heat-Only-Weather-Compensating-Kit-DHW-ZK07124

‘This is a simple accessory kit to upgrade an open vented boiler that is connected to a traditional S- or Y-plan system to a more efficient “4-pipe” system.’

Instructions here:

https://viessmanndirect.co.uk/files//de36168a-6a60-42b9-b0e4-ada60112a767/WB1B%20Compact%20Outdoor%20Sensor%20Instructions%20-%20Mod.pdf

The Cylinder demand control box requires an extra cable between the wiring centre (usually in the airing cupboard) and the boiler to tell the boiler when the demand is for the hot water cylinder.

Good luck finding a Gas Safe Engineer who is familiar with this. You could ask Viessmann.

If the op has the newer colour display model eg b1ga that’s the kit to turn it into a 4 pipe yes

Reply to Viessmann 100-W Heat Only and Weather Compensation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock