Search the forum,

Discuss Vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, I have a spare 18l potable vessel, can I use this for heating??

i wouldn't do it the other way but surely I don't see why you can't. Just seeing what your thoughts are??

cheers

Yes, probably okay. The air precharge needs to match the lower charge needed for a heating system, - usually 1 bar perhaps instead of 3bar in many potable vessels for unvented cylinders! Check with manufacturer or agent if you can to see if vessel suitable.
The potable tend to be a balloon inside them (not a diaphragm) for the water to expand inside against the outer air in vessel. That means potable water won't rust the vessel.
Others are stainless steel.
Your potable vessel would be a lot more expensive than an ordinary heating one! You maybe should sell it on to someone.

Last edited:
You can use a potable one for the heating but not be other way round.

I thought a potable one was stainless steal to

No, I also used to assume that. The vessels supplied with all the unvented cylinders that I see (usually white or blue in colour) have a stainless steel bolt on flange on them, but instead of a diaphragm in the middle of the vessel, they have a balloon linked to the flange (water) end.
Scary bit is if the balloon membrane holes, the mains water gets at the light steel of the vessel and soon rots it through! Mains pressure water running through your house. That's why it is recommended to replace the vessel as little as 5 years.

Although I have opened a potable vessel that had a burst 'balloon' membrane, I can't be sure what it was like inside. It was just mild steel though. No need of it to be stainless steel while the 'balloon' stays intact, but I think for when it bursts that vessels should be stainless steel.
Certainly a weak point with unvented units!
I know that stainless steel vessels exist, but I don't think the vessels we see are that. Colour of vessel is irrelevant, - they can be any colour, although most potable are white or blue, they can be red.
I did see a Telford Copper unvented unit with vessel built in to the top of it, which had 2 vessels fail & flood a very nice house within a few years, before I worked for the owner. I replaced it with a stainless steel unit with vessel separate. I suspect heat gets at the vessels built into the top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a baxi duotec combi boiler that every day or other day needs topping up as pressure drops below 0.5bar. When fired up it can reach OVER 2.5bar also whilst running CH. Is this more than likely a flat Expansion Vessel that needs inflating or could there be other possible causes if...
Replies
Views
In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from. Why I think its I've used calipers on the threads and counted them, and the male end sticking out of the vessel is BSPT 3/4 with 14 threads per inch...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to replace an old system boiler with a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 627 system boiler, thats the one with the diverter valve so no need for zone valves, controling it with a V-Smart and a VR10. I've spoken to Vaillant Tech and they said you cannot use the VR10 with a vented...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock