Discuss Very sudden sink blockage?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

0SK0

Pls help! My bathroom sink was fine, I filled the sink, emptied it, all good. five minutes later I come back to do the same for my daughter and its completely blocked, the water just filled the sink without the plug in and took 20 minutes to go down. Nothing had been dropped down it and I can't understand how this 'instant blockage' happened. I put a bottle of bleach down there last night but it's done nothing. How does this happen so suddenly, is this a known phenomenon??! Is there something I can do apart from get a plumber in?

It's not sudden, you've got a partial blockage in the pipework somewhere which is only allowing down at a fairly slow rate.
If you don't put anymore water down for a few hours and then try again , the first sinkfull of water will go down, the second won't.

If you wanted to be scientific about it you could calculate where the blockage is by the amount of water it takes to fill up and back up in the sink.

You could try a sink plunger first.

It's not sudden, you've got a partial blockage in the pipework somewhere which is only allowing down at a fairly slow rate.
If you don't put anymore water down for a few hours and then try again , the first sinkfull of water will go down, the second won't.

If you wanted to be scientific about it you could calculate where the blockage is by the amount of water it takes to fill up and back up in the sink.

You could try a sink plunger first.

A cleaver idea for fault finding.

When you use the plunger be mindfull of two things
1.You put bleach down be carefull of it coming back at you
2. When using a plunger block the sink overflow up with a cloth otherwise the pressure you build up will be lost .
3. Boiling water can loosen things up
4. Have a look underneath and see if you are confident enough to undo the trap below...post a piccy if you like
centralheatking

I'll have to go find myself a plunger and some sink unblocking stuff. Boiling water hasn't helped. Thx for the tips on plunging, I like scientific approaches and it does seem the blockage is not far down! I don't know if I've got a trap, all I can see is the u-bend pipe under the sink, which is set in quite a spidery infested cupboard:eek: so might leave that for a professional if it comes to calling one!

I'll have to go find myself a plunger and some sink unblocking stuff. Boiling water hasn't helped. Thx for the tips on plunging, I like scientific approaches and it does seem the blockage is not far down! I don't know if I've got a trap, all I can see is the u-bend pipe under the sink, which is set in quite a spidery infested cupboard:eek: so might leave that for a professional if it comes to calling one!
That u bend is usually made to be taken apart thats why its called a trap...to collect things ...dont use sink unblocking stuff its rubbish
have a go with a £5.00 plunger or send us a piccy of the spiders and the u bend. Then you can save all that call out money and have a decent takeaway ...centralheatking

dont use sink unblocking stuff its rubbish
...centralheatking

I generally agree but I have found the one branded by Mr Muscle Sink and Drain Unblocker from the supermarket (Waitrose I think) actually does work pretty well. It actually dissolves my Mrs's hair which 92% sulphuric acid failed to do!o_O

(See my thread in Plumber's Arms for that one)

Also Waitrose own brand one also in an orange bottle also works as I think it's the same stuff as the branded one but a couple of quid cheaper. Just so you know, like.

I worry about these acid products and push fit plastic drain fittings because its guite possible given a good plunge the hydraulic pressure might separate poorly connected push fit waste and if thats on an upper level ...I would not want that dripping down on myself or my food
centralheatking

In most cases, the drain blockage occurs due to mishandling or improper maintenance of the drainage system. Its causes may be solid wastes in the shower or do not build a strong pipeline foundation when they make a drainage system.

Caustic soda
is one of the best chemical drain unblockers to use when unblocking a drain. After mixing, pour the solution in the blocked drain. It is that simple.

Reply to Very sudden sink blockage?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock