Discuss Very high water consumption in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure.

Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a toilet was refilling or if someone was in the shower. If someone was running a bath then all taps in the house would have no water supply to them and the toilets wouldn't refill if flushed until the bath was stopped.

So we telephoned our water provider to see if this is normal for this area or if there were any known issues with the supply in our street.

To our suprise they said that they have noticed that since we have moved into the property that we have been using very high amounts of water.

I can't see us consciously being users of a large amount of water. We have a shower most days and sometimes have a bath instead. We have a dishwasher and washing machine. The dishwasher is used about once a day and the washing machine is only used maybe twice a week at most. The showers we have are mixer type without any power assistance.

The water company have so far been very helpful and asked us to undertake some simple tests to try to identify either a leak or something else in the house using large amounts of water.

The first thing they asked us to do was to ensure the stopcock in the house was fully open. To my surprise I found the stopcock in the house to be only about half open. I thought that when we moved in that this was all setup correctly. I did check the stopcock before calling the water company but I could not turn it. After checking it again following speaking to the water company I managed to turn it until it was fully open. I think it had got a little seized so just needed more brute force to open it fully. Once I had opened it fully, we had full water pressure and we could use the taps at the same time as running a bath or flushing the toilet. The water that came out of the taps and toilet however was brown for a while and it then settled back to clear water.

So the water pressure issue was resolved.

But the water company stated we were using very large amounts of water so we needed to test for a leak between the meter in the street and the stopcock in the house.

So I fully turned off the stopcock and took a meter reading. I waited an hour and checked the meter again and it had not changed. So the water usage was from something or a leak in the house.

So I turned the stopcock fully open again and started to monitor usage by taking regular meter readings.

To my horror I could not believe the difference between the meter readings. Between the readings we did not use any toilets, showers, didn't have any baths and did not have the washing machine or dishwasher on. We didn't use any of the taps so I thought the readings should not change.

The first meter reading that I took, after opening the stopcock in full, was from overnight and it indicated that we had used 130 litres of water overnight.

I've been doing further readings with the stopvalves to individual items closed and without using any water from taps etc.

Overnight last night we have used 394 litres of water. Again, we did not use any showers, toilets, baths or taps during that time.

So with everything off we were still using lots of water for some reason.

So the only thing left that I could think of was the underfloor heating and water heating that is in our laundry cupboard.

So I switched off all the underfloor heating controllers in each room and ensured the manifold actuators were all closed. I then also switched the hot water controller to off instead of it using the timer schedules.

I took a new meter reading and waited an hour and to my suprise we had now only used 3 litres of water. I left it another hour and took another reading and that time we had used 1 litre of water. However, we did not use any taps or any water during that time so even with the heating and hot water off we still have some form of water leak/usage somewhere.

My first concern is why the underfloor heating and/or water heating is using such large amounts of water. Is it normal for underfloor heating to use so much water when it is on?

The underfloor heating and hot water are fed from an air source heat pump.

The hot water is held in a 200 litre cylinder next to the underfloor heating manifolds. We do not have any water tank in the loft.

I'm now going to test the modern dual flush toilets to see if they are using water when they shouldn't be. They appear to be dry around the pan and I can't isolate them easily because the shutoff valves for each toilet has been boxed in.

Unfortunately our landlord did not provide us with any instructions for this heating system in this house so I'm having to learn it as I go along.

Thanks,

Chris

The heating systems shouldn't use a drop of water, maybe the occasional top up of a few litres every couple of months, it points to a leak on the mains between the stopcock and the house but you could repeat the heating test again say one hour off then repeat with one hour back on, no domestic use for these two hours.

Any toilets running / overflowing ?

A bit of food dye in the cisterns will tell you if there passing / overflowing

"The hot water is held in a 200 litre cylinder next to the underfloor heating manifolds. We do not have any water tank in the loft."
You may have a unvented HW cylinder except that you have a combined HW cylinder and storage tank, if unvented you will have a PRV (pressure relief valve) on the cylinder and probably another one called a expansion valve after the cold water pressure reducing valve to the HW cylinder, both of these will vent into a tundish so ensure especially at night that neither is expelling water, this can happen if you have very high mains pressure and the pressure reducing valve is faulty.

Hi all,

Thank you for all the helpful replies. They are much appreciated.

I unfortunately cannot isolate the toilets because the isolation valves are boxed in behind each toilet. So I was unable to find a way to test them by themselves to see if they are using the 3 or 4 litres per hour that we are losing when the DHW and underfloor heating are off. I can't see any water running down the back of the pan and they both seem to stay dry for both toilets.

So last night I switched on the hot water again to try to work out if the high water usage is being used by the DHW or the underfloor heating or both. I left the underfloor heating off. The DHW was just switched on as auto at the control panel and is only scheduled to come on once at night.

I then took a meter reading this morning and we had used 580 litres of water overnight.

We only used the toilet a few times and we didn't use any baths or showers. We didn't even put the dishwasher or washing machine on.

I have once again switched off the main stopcock in the house and the meter in the street then does not change. I have tested that over several hours and the reading never changes. So there is definitely something in the house using all this water. At the moment the main culprit appears to be the DHW or underfloor heating.

Thanks,

Chris

Is your heating system sealed eg do you top it up with a filling loop ?

When you think of it 580L loss over say 8 hours is "only" 1.2LPM.
If its the UFH then check that the topup system has a auto fill PRV, if so, shut it. If HW and not on the hot side check the cold water inlet tundishes.

When you think of it 580L loss over say 8 hours is "only" 1.2LPM.
If its the UFH then check that the topup system has a auto fill PRV, if so, shut it. If HW and not on the hot side check the cold water inlet tundishes.
If something was leaking at 1.2lpm that would show itself pretty quick - unless of course it's going down a drain

Ok do you have a cylinder or just a boiler ?

Reply to Very high water consumption in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock