Discuss Vaillant VR33 (with Nest) and VR66 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Does anyone have experience of using a VR33 (for Heating OpenTherm control with Nest) and a VR66 for Hot Water Priority with Vaillant system boilers? I'm specifically using an EcoTec plus 624
I've got a system working with a Nest and VR66 to provide hot water priority and it works well with separate cylinder charge and heating flow temperatures. Currently this is all connected to the Nest using the switched CH and HW controls. I'd like to use the OpenTherm capability of the Nest for the heating but have questions about how the VR33 and VR66 coexist if they can at all. There is no timer or thermostat connected to the VR66. The only control input to the VR66 is the cylinder stat & nest HW switched line.
I'm hoping that the VR33 just behaves like an ebus thermostat and would work alongside the existing setup (with removing the switched CH controls on the boiler) but would love to know if anyone has experience of going into this level of detail.

The VR33 Vaillant module converts OpenTherm to eBus in the boiler (unsupported in the UK but should work) but I'm trying to understand if plays nice with a VR66 when fitted and connected to a Nest 3rd Gen

I'm looking to do exactly the same thing. I'd like to use OpenTherm controls, but my house has a Vaillant boiler and is plumbed in an S-Plan configuration. I cannot find any controls that will use the OpenTherm protocol and manage the valves directly. My understanding is that the VR66 will allow the boiler itself to control the valves for DHW and CH so that the controls are not directly involved.
From the reading that I've done the VR33 acts as a bridge between eBUS and Opentherm so in theory the boiler will not know the difference between an eBUS controller connected directly, or an Opentherm controller connected via the bridge. There's a fair bit of discussion on the VR33 on the Automated Home forum. On this thread OpenTherm VR33 and Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 - https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?6396-OpenTherm-VR33-and-Vaillant-ecoTEC-plus-428 someone suggests that the VR33 is 'low priority' and will not work with other eBus controls.
Looking at the specs: https://ebus-wiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php/ebus/spec_prot_12_v1_3_1_e.pdf and https://ebus-wiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php/ebus/spec_prot_7_v1_6_1_e.pdf eBus clearly supports multiple devices on the same bus (I guess the clues in the name), so it seems like it 'should' work.

So I went ahead and tried it all anyway and it works perfectly. The vr66 provides hot water priority for the boiler and can control the valves for ch and hw. The vr33 allows the nest to control heating and hot water using opentherm! The only other thing I added (which you don't need) was the vr10 ntc sensor for my hot water cylinder so that nest can control the cylinder temp instead of the mechanical thermostat.
Now to fix the one radiator which seems to have sludged up!

Where are you connecting the ot off the nest to ?

Oh, that's great. You've given me the confidence to do the same setup on my boiler. I've got an Opentherm gateway that I'm hoping to use between the controller and vr33 so that I can log the boiler metrics. Armed with that I'm hoping I can get it tweaked to eek out the most efficiency.

Reply to Vaillant VR33 (with Nest) and VR66 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock