Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Vaillant Eco Tec 831 has become incontinent with age. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Marti

Marti New Member

Vaillant Eco Tec 831 has become incontinent with age.

So, a Vaillant EcoTec 831 installed in 2011. No major issues; I flush it and refill with Sentinel every year or so. Give the filter a wash and good for the winter. This time I noticed a slight drip off the casing. Opened it up and the bottom is 5mm deep and has been for a while. Hopefully, you can see the attached image; judging by the stain, the issue appears to be the crimped joint on the mains inlet losing about 2 litres every 24 hours of run-time. Is this a Vaillant part I could swap or does it need the loving touch of a professional?

View attachment Vaillant Eco Tec 831.jpg

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You could do with a Gas Safe Engineer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I’m afraid you’ve done all you can. You shouldn’t be removing the case as this forms a combustion seal and needs to be replaced and checked by a gas safe engineer

• Like Like x 2
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Are you Gas safe registered mate?

5. Marti

Marti New Member

Thanks for the replies folks. Useful to know about the gas seal. I've advertised for a Gas Safe engineer on the MyBuilder site. I'm guessing s/he can check the combustion etc at the same time. Despite all the banter between sparks and plumbers; you have my respect. Plumbing is way more frustrating than electrical work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

7. dancinplumba

dancinplumba Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

you a sparks ?? wtf let you in !!! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Harvest Fields

They always sneak in somehow. They force from the dark side pulls them in:D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Last Plumber

Have you ventured over to the other side?
    They hate us with a passion. I think I have worked out why but not 100% sure as yet.

10. Marti

Marti New Member

That's a better option - Thank you.
    Of course, normal hostilities will be resumed. Now...who keeps putting a bloody great tank right where I wanna put the electrical consumer unit ;)

11. Harvest Fields

Is it because I for one, wire in my own installs/timers ?

12. Last Plumber

Yes. Nail on the head.
    They think (in my deduced opinion), that only they should be allowed to work on electricity.

13. Harvest Fields

Tell that to the thousands of homeowners who do all there own electrical works.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Marti

Marti New Member

Success! Mr Gas-Safe turned up and spotted the issue straight away; plastic condensate pipe had fallen off inside the boiler. Fixed in an minute by adding the jubilee clip the original (and incompetent in many other areas) fitters left off. Thanks again for all your advice.

• Like Like x 1