Search the forum,

Discuss Urinal Plastic Waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Chippy by trade, was tasked with renewing wastes and traps.

However, I'm confused to how to fit these wastes, I dont suppose it makes much difference, but what is the CORRECT way?

The old wastes didnt have washer, just masses of silicone used.

Thanks

upload_2019-2-23_12-10-30.jpeg

images

1) With Washer to bottom of urinal pan (TOP) (Similar to fitting a tap) -- 2nd picture
2) With washer at top of locking top (Underneath of Urinal?) -- 1st picture

I suppose you learn by doing little jobs for people, it was leaking anyway. Would you have fitted differently?

CYA and get whoever asked a chippy to do their plumbing to approve the method and finish on the first one before you do the remainder.

Your photo isn't very clear but it doesn't look right to me. You seem to have a dam between the porcelain and the outlet where there should be a smooth downward gradient. You'll get a ring of urine trapped there until the next flush. This may or may not be a problem (i.e. smell of stale pee and amonia) depending on usage and flushing frequency.

I'm no expert, but I think that your top photo is a design that intends that sealant is used at the top so that there is no ponding and the flat washer should be between the back-nut and the underside of the bowl keeping the sealant compressed by maintaining tension. Your bottom photo seems to have a conical washer so that makes it likely that it is intended to form the seal and should go at the top for that design. It's possible that the new waste just isn't a good fit to the bowl. Check the manufacturer's instructions.

Last edited:

Reply to Urinal Plastic Waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
In my last posting, I requested assistance in exchanging a waste that had been fitted using silicone, without actually removing the basin. Mission accomplished. However, I now have a further issue for which I would welcome any suggestions or advice. I decided to replace the McAlpine Pedestal...
Replies
Views
My shower had previously been repaired really badly before I moved in. The plastic retaining collar on the waste had broken off. Instead of repairing it properly and replacing the waste with a new one, someone used bathroom sealant to hold the trap in place and just plonked the broken collar on...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with my plumbing issue. I have had a new kitchen installed and as part of that a new Vellamo double sink. My fitter has connected a new waste trap to the sinks however when I run the water from the tap I can hear gurgling noise from the strainer and...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come over the wrong way so please keep in mind I am 57 and at school in the 70s back then was kicked out the lessons and put in remedial classes (before...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock