Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Urgent help needed! Open flue/ Grade II Listed building/ Part L Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NKA Bristol

Hi

Can anyone help me with an urgent, unusual and difficult problem please?! It's hard to explain without having been in my property but my flat is located in the lower ground floor of a Grade II Listed building. My current boiler (Worcester High Flow 400) is located in my study (no external access/ windows/ just 2 x small vents) with a flue going up an existing chimney. It’s been in situ for about 15 years. To my knowledge I do not share the chimney or flue with anyone else but the chimney does go up ground/1st/2nd floors. Due to the layout of my flat and having spoken with the local Planners they will not let me move my boiler so I can install a new condensing one with an external flue as it would go out to the main Listed façade which tey won’t allow, plus it would also affect my neighbours. However, keeping it where it is causes 2 problems: firstly it wouldn't comply with Part L of building regs; secondly I can't find any manufacturer who still makes boilers using open flues so I can utilise the chimney. I have been told due to the layout and Listing of my flat I may qualify for exemption from the regs and building control may be happy provided I qualify for the 1000+ points needed in the assessment procedure. If I manage that though I need to find someone who can advise me if I can get a fan assisted flue/ liner with terminal at the top that would comply with regs and a boiler that works with this? I am caught between a rock and a hard place with the Listing/ Regs/ Boiler types manufactured. Please can anyone help????!!!!! Does anyone still make boilers that work with open flues? What’s the max flue height if they do? Could a small commercial boiler get around this problem if a domestic one can’t? What ventilation is needed even if it’s a fan assisted flue?
I have been up all night worrying sick about what to do and need some good advice and someone who can help me find a solution rather than keep telling me what I can’t do! I need hot water and heating……My only other option is an electric boiler – about which I know nothing but I have been told they’re not good for large flats/ properties. Does anyone know much about electric boilers? Positives/ negatives/ good manufacturers/ any recommendations?
I would be grateful for ANY help/ advice on what to do.
Thanks
NKA Bristol

Is there a possibility of an oil boiler? There are still a few non condensing ones around. Siting the oil tank might cause a little grievance.

The planning department might have a limited outlook but you could try the council's building control. They might be more helpful.

Perhaps if you could post 2-5 photos showing outside and your thoughts inside someone here might have an idea.

Right thats some problem you have.
Have you tried giving technical a call with the boiler manufactures like Vaillant or Potterton. I put in a Glenhill electric water heater for the hot water and electric underfloor heating in to a block of flats I was doing up 2 years ago they worked well.

Also had a quick look at wood pellet boilers for you as I think the flue would work, but don't know enough about them. They might take up to much space though or it might be a stupid idea but one of the other guys might shed some light on this lol

Thanks Franky and Dontknowitall. I have spoken with technical at Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, Halstead (GlenDimplex), Baxi, Keston, Ideal Stelrad/ Caradon Ideal, the local building control department, planners, an ex Chief Corgi Inspector, an independent commercial boiler trouble shooter and head surveyors at British Gas. Basically, Building Control are happy with me using the chimney provided a Gas Safe engineer is happy for me to do so....but until I find a flue and boiler that will do the job I'm stuck!
The British Gas engineer who came last night has very kindly done some research on his lunchbreak and just called to say he's found a boiler called a Veissmann 100 which has a flexible flue liner option (up to 25m in length) which uses a flue liner as the exhaust, air combustion from the room and is either a combi or uses a small water tank. Does nayone know anything about these? Might this be the solution......? He said I may have to change the grills on my vents but as far as I'm connnerned if it means I can use the chinmey and keep the current boiler position and keep is gas I couldn't care less! I'm just waiting to download some photos of the exterior and current boiler position - as soon as I have I'll post them to give an idea of what I'm on about! This is the first time I've gone on a forum....the help so far is hugely appreciated :)

Veissmann are an extremely good make of boiler from what I've heard....

Ring Veissmann technical but don't get bg to put in your boiler they cost a fortune used a local gse

i agree with toddy plumb baxi bermuda he uses a plastic flue liner

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgBack gate.jpgphoto 2.jpgI don't think a wood pellet boiler would be an option, or oil, as I have nowhere to put an oil tank or store wood pellets. Thanks for thphoto 5.jpge ideas though. Here are some photos of where the boiler is, the vents in the room and the external windows etc. You'll see many of them are under aphoto 1.jpgrchways under the stairs and I've been told wouldn't comply with ventilation and anyway, the planners won't let me put anything on the external wallphoto 2.jpgs....these are the only external walls I have as the other side is cellars/ subterannean.... I'm hoping the Viessmann 100 is the solution gut tryingphoto 4.jpg very hard not to get my hopes up!

i think its the viessmann 200 you need not the 100, these give you the flueing options.
i have not fitted any this way but i have seen it done. viessmann seem very flexible in what you can do with the flue, so no doubt that it can be done.
i woudnt get BG to do the install though, very expensive.

just been looking at the viessmann flue systems,seems to tick the boxes ,as said great boiler and seem to have the flue problem covered,maybe time to get a approved viessmann installer in to do a on site survey

[DLMURL]http://www.viessmann.co.uk/etc/medialib/internet_uk/images/products.Par.28961.File.File.tmp/Technical%20guide%20flue%20systems.pdf[/DLMURL]

Jut out of interest ,why are you replacing existing boiler ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend of mine has installed 2 of the viessmans in existing chimneys, one in a listed building in london. No problems, def recommend. Worth having local viessman rep to call as I think my friend uses rep for advice etc. Otherwise seen one new baxi 'back boiler' in relatives house and seems okay!!

Try Viessmann mate they have a kit especially for a chimney and a condensing boiler. If you go their site and look under a boiler then the flueing applications PDF. I have flued a Viessman up an old chimney before. Not the cheapest solution but on par with flue lining a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent help needed! Open flue/ Grade II Listed building/ Part L Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock