Search the forum,

Discuss Urgent Central Heating System Pressure Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone,
New to the forum, hopefully someone can help with a problem which has just developed with our central heating system.

We have a sealed / pressurised system which has been working pretty much perfectly for many years. Aside from needing to increase the pressure a couple of times a year from say 1bar upto 1.5bar, nothing else has needed attention.

This evening I came home to find our kitchen ceiling looking damp, so a quick run up the stairs to the airing cupboard revealed some issues. The CH pressure gauge was reading 3.4bar, and therefore the PRV had opened and was releasing water down the drainage pipe via the tundish. Unforutnately the tundish didnt line up very well with the pipework and so most of the water was on the floor, and subsequently on the kitchen ceiling.

First thing for me to confirm is that my filling loop is NOT connected!

My next thought was to try and reduce the CH pressure by bleeding some radiators and letting some water out. This had no effect on the pressure.

Next i turned off the cold water supply to the house to see what effect this had. Nothing immediately. I then ran a hot tap, and noticed the pressure on the CH gauge beginning to drop. However as soon as i turn the cold water mains supply on again, the pressure shoots back up to 3+ bar.

I've turned the boiler off of course whilst all this is going on, however obviously this means no heating and no hot water, so i'm desperate for your help!! :confused5::confused5:

Hope someone can reply soon.
Many thanks,
Nigel

difficult to say, as you tell us its your ch system blowing off, but from the airing cupboard which means it could be an unvented cylinder issue. Your best and only safe option is to isolate the boiler and call an unvented qualified gas technician first thing in the morning, to carry out a fairly simple fix for most of us. But as it is a safety issue, we wont be advising you on how to do it at present.

Agreed, unfortunately this isn't a diy repair.

Whereabouts are you, we might have someone nearby who can help.

Hello Simon,
Thank you for your reply.

For what its worth, its an oil fuelled system boiler setup....

Because of the way the cold water pressure appears to be directly affecting the CH system pressure, i agree that i think something has split.

I didnt want to comment further as I was hoping someone would tell me their thoughts and confirm my own diagnosis, but i think the coil within the hot water cylinder has split, allowing the cold mains pressure to mix with the central heating system primary circuit....

Any further thoughts?

Thank you :)
Nigel

turn off the cold supply to the cylinder in the airing cupboard overnight. just wondering why your central heating pressure gauge is in the airing cupboard and not on the boiler, are you sure its not the hot water vessel pressure gauge your looking at?

Aye, could have given all info in first post. Never mind.

Any chance of some pics of the airing cupboard Nigel?

Thank you lame plumber and croppie for your replies!

I think the coil within the cylinder has split - would you agree?

Thank you lame plumber and croppie for your replies!

I think the coil within the cylinder has split - would you agree?

could be a simpler problem but I am not sure whether your talking ch system pressure or unvented cyl pressure

just isolate cold feed to hw cyl, to prevent feeding possible split and another problem and turn off your boiler overnight till techie gets to have a look. turn on hot tap to remove excess pressure and off again to check pressure is no longer an issue overnight.

Cheers Nigel, but either or.

You will need a qualified person. OFTEC guy with g3.

Whereabouts are you?

Have you had your horlicks then, gramps......

got my second little one due on 1st of March, just cancelled the wrist op on the 29th of Feb, so I can be around and useful (not an invitation for abuse folks), going for a single malt and looking for a 12 bore to blow away a certain bird!!!!!!!!!!!1

photo2.jpgphoto3.jpg

The water is the least of your worries. You will need a g3 engineer (unvented cylinder) to have a look. Kill the mains cold to the cylinder. Should be able to run your heating as a very short term stop gap.

Wouldnt mind seeing the rest of the cylinder.

3 port on an unvented, your missing some essential safety features, as Mr Cropp states, get someone in to sort out that set up asap.

3 port on an unvented, your missing some essential safety features, as Mr Cropp states, get someone in to sort out that set up asap.

Whilst I don't understand the issues, that sounds worrying. This setup is as new when the house was built 12 years ago.... i'm surprised that something would be incorrect?

Thank you for any input :)

Whilst I don't understand the issues, that sounds worrying. This setup is as new when the house was built 12 years ago.... i'm surprised that something would be incorrect?

Thank you for any input :)

To be honest, so are we...

You've got a fairly important safety valve missing that would cut off the primary flow in the event of the cylinder temperature overshooting its setpoint.

There's other issues but that's the main one.

if it is a split coil, which it may not be then you need at least 2 other bits replace/installed urgently to make things work safely again, which are manufacturers parts. These need installing by a qualified (G3 regulated) plumber. If the coil is split then a new cyl is needed anyhow and the completed cyl inc safety devices will be installed by the plumber. Because of the risks involved in doing it wrong, this site wont offer the actual answers as folk may be tempted to give it a go themselves with poor results.

Not wishing to scare you, but this is the result of all the safety devices failing on an unvented cyl, yours is missing one of them out of the 3 normally installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61uDmQF5I2E

your cyl should not do this,but it needs some safety device fitting as if your other 2 failed that video is a reality should things go wrong. Hence why our advice isnt forth coming and why you should get someone in to rectify the problem

only worry if you dont sort it, still got 2 safety devices and its turned off at present .... I hope

Wow thats scary indeed!

G3 Plumber will be called in tomorrow to investigate....

Very worried now

Good man, thank you Nigel.

It's the safety of you and your family we're concerned about. And thankfully you're listening. There's too many that don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
obviously not an engineer
sorry that sounds wrong its an in joke nigel not aimed at you

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good G3 certified plumber in the Yeovil, Somerset sort of area that might be able to help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent Central Heating System Pressure Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock