Search the forum,

Discuss Upstairs 8 rads Hot, 8 rads downstairs of which 3 dont get hot. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dipeshh

Hi,

I have a central heating problem,

I have 16 rads, 8 upstairs and 8 downstairs

3 of the downstairs ones dont heat up has much as the ones upstairs.

We've changed the pump, had powerflush done twice over the last 6 years, i done the last one by hiring a powerflusher, and done each rad individually till clear about 1.5 years ago.

New boiler was installed 7 years ago, it used to be in the kitchen but now moved upstairs behind the bathroom right above where it used to be.

We've also replaced one of the rads downstairs in the living room.

Also have taken of all 3 rads downstairs and flushed them out with a hose pipe in the garden.

We have in installed a magna clean 1 year ago.

We've also left x400 and x800 left in the system (not at the same time) for a week or two and emptied and filled the system.

It is an open vented central heating system.

Have tried balancing a few times.

When all the rads upstairs are off and all downstairs ones off apart from the 3 then they heat up.

Would love some input and help for my heating system to be fixed.

Find the post "Wasted weekend", within that is a link on how to balance radiators which I believe is accepted as being a very good guide then see if you did anything different. Sorry but that`s my only input.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, i've done balancing myself with the whole central heating system being cold, then starting up the heating with one rad open and balancing each one form the furthest first.

We've also had homeserve plumbers out a few times they've done it too. they keep saying to do a powerflush.

I'm happy to do one, but it costs quite a bit, and they cant guarantee it will work. when i open the magna clean theres very for particle stuck to the magnet and water is crystal clear.

Other option is to lift of the hardwood flooring and re-pipe the 3 rads downstairs incase there is a blockage in the pipe.

Maybe it hasn't been balanced properly. Any easy flow places like bypass valves or hot cylinders (if exists) or full flow towel rails will short circuit the pump & downrate it's performance.
But very likely you have overloaded pipework (too small bore)
16 rads is a fair bit & make sure you have a proper pump that copes with that. 6m pump minimum

When the rads were off did you check the flow through the valves. I.e open them into a bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upstairs 8 rads Hot, 8 rads downstairs of which 3 dont get hot. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock