Search the forum,

Discuss unwelcome letter from gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just got a letter saying; I'm part of a pilot scheme and that I have to attend an inspection event with other local plumbers at a hotel in battesea where we will be tested on our knowledge

i'll have to take half a day off work with no compensation, while completely paranoid why I've been selected

has anyone else got one of these letter or had to go through similar

Just got a letter saying; I'm part of a pilot scheme and that I have to attend an inspection event with other local plumbers at a hotel in battesea where we will be tested on our knowledge

i'll have to take half a day off work with no compensation, while completely paranoid why I've been selected

has anyone else got one of these letter or had to go through similar
Heard that is how they are doing inspections now mate. No more coming to meet you on site.

Yep all meet in a common place answer questions you pass that's all good you fail your suspended until you retake the test I've heard

how intense is it, should i expect fairly easy questions or am i going to have to swat up

and why me, have i just been selected at random, will there be hundreds of other engineers or should i be paranoid

why dont they trust colleges to test knowledge anymore

Good Question though, how may other Engineers are there?
Is it a lecture hall full or two or three?

Hate group discussions.

Hate group discussions.

what its a team exam?

My mate went on one and he said there was about 25

did he say how tough it was, I had my inspection when i 1st qualified which was easy, but as an experianced engineer i expect it'll be a bit harder, that and I have a lot more tickets now

Did it last year, about 25-30 of us in a hotel conference room. Basically, they talk at you for a couple of hours then you do a bit of an informal exam (If you don't pass you need to rethink your career as it's a piece of pish). Think it's a lot better than the old way, even if you have to take half a day off as the first one I did I had to take him to 3 old jobs as I was doing a couple of bathrooms so I lost a full day

Did it last year, about 25-30 of us in a hotel conference room. Basically, they talk at you for a couple of hours then you do a bit of an informal exam (If you don't pass you need to rethink your career as it's a piece of pish). Think it's a lot better than the old way, even if you have to take half a day off as the first one I did I had to take him to 3 old jobs as I was doing a couple of bathrooms so I lost a full day

I have not had to do it as of yet, but it sounds better then revisiting 3 jobs you've recently done and trying to get those customers to 1, agree to it and 2, take time off to be available for it. It will not waste any more time than it does taking the inspector around for half a day. so I'd prefer the new way personally. Saying that I've only ever had 2 inspections in 15 years! 1 by Corgi when it became compulsory to be registered and one when Gas Safe took over and that's it.

I have not had to do it as of yet, but it sounds better then revisiting 3 jobs you've recently done and trying to get those customers to 1, agree to it and 2, take time off to be available for it. It will not waste any more time than it does taking the inspector around for half a day. so I'd prefer the new way personally. Saying that I've only ever had 2 inspections in 15 years! 1 by Corgi when it became compulsory to be registered and one when Gas Safe took over and that's it.

Still have to do that

Still have to do that

Well in that case it is a total waste of time then :mad:
Why is been fully qualified with full ACS qualifications not enough proof we know what we're doing I will never know. The visiting of recent jobs I understand as that shows we are working and practicing to a competent, acceptable and safe level. But to now have to meet up and be grilled on our knowledge when we are all fully qualified is ridiculous. As if ACS isn't bad enough without this new level of interrogation & costing us more time and loss of earnings..
Rant Over :mad::mad:

Why is been fully qualified with full ACS qualifications not enough proof we know what we're doing I will never know. The visiting of recent jobs I understand as that shows we are working and practicing to a competent, acceptable and safe level. But to now have to meet up and be grilled on our knowledge when we are all fully qualified is ridiculous. As if ACS isn't bad enough without this new level of interrogation & costing us more time and loss of earnings..
Because being qualified isn’t enough in our trade mate. To many Idiot’s about trying to make a fortune quickly. Normally if you are left alone for a long time your not on their radar. But eventually the telescope will come back around and hit you square in the face:eek:

Have to been seen to be doing something with our money

the lad i worked with taught who worked under my gas safe has just ha dhis first inspection, the gas safe guy was so impressed that he put him straight onto no need to revisit for 5 years

I had about 4 on the trot when I asked them if I was being singled out I was told you just get picked at random, The computer say its you.

I havent been inspected for at least 10 years!

Even when I did, I arranged 3 appointments, but never had to take them to the 3rd.

If you can do your 5 yearly ccn1 ect then you should be fine.

TBF, if you CAN'T do the 5 yearly you need some medical or psychological help.

Have you ever known anyone to fail?
Yet the forums are full of Muppet RGI tales.

And of RGI's saying they will/have Fail(ed) a CP12.

have you not seen some o the work 'gas safe plumbers' spew out?

the lad i worked with taught who worked under my gas safe has just ha dhis first inspection, the gas safe guy was so impressed that he put him straight onto no need to revisit for 5 years
that's standard tho... I got seen on probabation and haven't been seen for 6 years.

when i went on my own 12 years ago i had my inspection and he said see you in 5 years, never seen an inspector since.

Assume by being designated amber they weren't 100% confident in what they where doing?
Yes and no it means that the inspector was not 100% happy with either their answers or as you say confidence. They can even red light an engineer.

Guy I work with had this group meeting, he said the exam they got was open book. Said it was a piece of p*ss.

They’re clearly doing it this way to save themselves money. If they can test a load of guys at the one time they’ll be saving money plus ticking a lot of guys off their checklist I suppose.

I was invited. They wanted to meet the guys that hadn't had an inspection for along time. It was a way of seeing a lot of engineers quickly rather than doing individual inspections. The test is straight forward. It was about the changes to unsafe situations.... Don't worry about it...

I was invited. They wanted to meet the guys that hadn't had an inspection for along time. It was a way of seeing a lot of engineers quickly rather than doing individual inspections. The test is straight forward. It was about the changes to unsafe situations.... Don't worry about it...

had to attend last week, found it a complete waste of time, really easy questions and the harder ones such as 'an openflued appliance in a bathroo0m' they told you before the exam thats its been upgraded from AR to ID. its open book, but personally i didnt need my book and judging by the amount of time it took others 70% didnt need their books either, and there was a lot of us there.

one interesting thing they said was there are only have 68 inspectors across the country which suprised me, we pay them a lot of money, dont know how they spend it. only 6 inspectors tageting illegal unregistred gas fitters, good to know where their priorities are

they said theyre in Dartford next, so some of you over there might be losing half a days work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unwelcome letter from gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a GS registered installer installs a new boiler that does not meet the standards of the Commissioning Checklist, but signs it off anyway, what is to be...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hello to the forum, I just thought I would share this response from GAs-safe.. I had occasion to suspect that an install was dangerous by a non qualified engineer in a commercial kitchen where people are working so I alerted gas safe to the fact , I guess that was a mistake but the reply is...
Replies
Views
Evening all Could someone tell me please if there is a deadline between passing the acs and getting registered on gas safe? I passed my acsin June and just want to make sure I'm not running out of time to register Thanks in advance
Replies
Views
Catherine Dick was prosecuted by Halton Borough Council Trading Standards. The 33-year-old from Clayton Crescent in Runcorn, pleaded guilty to two offences of making false claims when she appeared at Chester Crown Court. Dick, trading as ACN Heating and Plumbing Services of Clayton Crescent...
Replies
Views
Got letter from GS last month asking me to attend a registration inspection event, it was yesterday held at a local hotel conference room. Basically a power point presentation session with a small assessment at the end, all based around IGEM/G/11 unsafe situations procedures. About 25 fairly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock