Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Unvented Cylinder No Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yogiblair

Hi,

I have a Tribune Range HE, direct unvented cylinder with a gas boiler. Recently I had a very small leak (more of a weap) from the two port valve on the CH. I isolated the water supply, electricity and closed off the valves I could see directly effecting this circuit. I removed the actuator assembly cleaned up the two port valve, re-seated everything and all appeared ok. The leak has been fixed.

The next day after showers I ran out of hot water. One thing to note that I have been running this as an indirect system for over a year (immersion heater switched off) and always had sufficient levels of hot water.

The CH works fine. In investigating I noticed that i had zero pressure at the expansion tank. (when removing the two port valve there was a very small release of pressure) I opened the fill loop and now have 1.3bar at the expansion tank.

I can get hot water by turning on the immersion heater, however I have tried several tests now with the immersion heater off and after using the contents of the tank I get cold running through.

I have read that my problem may be with the motorized valve on the primary flow line. I have tried running this in manual but still get no hot water unless the immersion heater is on.

Any help greatly appreciated.

so the lack of hot water has only occurred after the work you did yes?
apart from the possibility of a completely unrelated fault also occurring at the same time,
the issue more probably is that something has been changed, not put back properly.
Have another look, what did you change? has something been missed?
start simple - have the valves that were closed been opened?
did you change the wiring? is it wrong?

How do you know if the motorised valve you possibly fixed is working correctly

Open it manually and turn heating on see if you get hot water then

Simon Thanks for the reply. Yes this has only happened since i removed the CH two port valve actuator and re-seated it. I closed two valves and opened them again at this time. I am thinking it is related to the small amount of pressure that escaped when I removed the CH two port valve and that there should have been another valve in this circuit closed? As I said I had zero pressure at the expansion tank but opening and closing the fill loop then gave me 1.3bar.

The motorized valve on the central heating doesn't have a manual option (only the valve on the primary flow line). it is working because it turns when the central heating kicks in

The CH works fine.
I have read that my problem may be with the motorized valve on the primary flow line. I have tried running this in manual but still get no hot water unless the immersion heater is on.
what Gray is saying is turn the central heating on, the boiler is then working Yes?
(so the pressure you mentioned is not an issue.)
then manually open the small metal lever on the 2 port valve to the hot water cylinder,the lever has a position that it can be held in so that it remains open, if the hot water is then getting hot - you still have an issue with the 2 port valve.

what Gray is saying is turn the central heating on, the boiler is then working Yes?
(so the pressure you mentioned is not an issue.)
then manually open the small metal lever on the 2 port valve to the hot water cylinder,the lever has a position that it can be held in so that it remains open, if the hot water is then getting hot - you still have an issue with the 2 port valve.

I have done this with the metal lever in the manual position and the central heating on. Left it for several hours with the immersion heater off (power switch off) and still no hot water.

I will come back then to the first answer, that if the problem only happened AFTER you did the work on the two port valve something must be closed somewhere to be preventing any flow.
is the valve put back together properly?
might be time to call a plumber to resolve the problem, as ability through a keyboard has limitations.

I will come back then to the first answer, that if the problem only happened AFTER you did the work on the two port valve something must be closed somewhere to be preventing any flow.
is the valve put back together properly?
might be time to call a plumber to resolve the problem, as ability through a keyboard has limitations.

I will check valves again, but as I said I only closed two and then opened two. the two port valve is such a simple piece that I do not believe it be possible to not put it back on correctly. Thanks for your suggestions.

I am thinking that I have been unlucky and my problem is un-related. Perhaps it didn't like it when I powered down the system to to work on it originally. I have read elsewhere about a microswitch in the flow line two port valve and if this is faulty then even though the valve is manually open then the heating will not kick in to heat the water (although i would have thought it would still heat when the central heating is on)

ok, assumption was the valve was the one to the hot water.

is there a bleed screw somewhere that has not been opened, and the pipe is full of air?
some photos might prove helpful.

is there a bleed screw somewhere that has not been opened, and the pipe is full of air?

That sounds feasible. Will have a look when I get home tonight and get a couple of images. Thanks

Try and upload some photos and show us what was turned off etc. we like photos.

photo attached

1 two port valve I originally removed (CH)
2 valve i closed before removal of the two port valve
3 valve i closed before removal of two port valve
4 two port valve for hot water
5 bleed pressure from here

Ok something I have noticed tonight but was sure wasnt the case before. The boiler is not firing when hot water program is on. only fires for CH

Attachments

• bolier.JPG
    bolier.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 47
You havent dislodged a wire fron the hw 2 port when wiring new ch one back in have you.? or did you just swap the body. Id double check valve 3 if i were you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You havent dislodged a wire fron the hw 2 port when wiring new ch one back in have you.? or did you just swap the body.

The old one went back on after i cleaned up the gunk from the leak. the wires are on the red plug to the left of the picture. i am convinced that this two port valve is working and that it is for the CH.

Why did you bleed pressure from temp pressure relief valve
That's the domestic water not heating

my problem is with the water, not heating. I bleed pressure from this tonight following early suggestion on here. It did release air before water in to the tundish

valve 3 is open. heat is on the pipe either side of the valve

If its not after the 2 port and its calling for hw then its the hw 2port, push it over manually to see if you get flow with the pump running. what grey meant was the water coming out of that valve when turned is the same water you get at the hot taps not 'boiler' water.

If its not after the 2 port and its calling for hw then its the hw 2port, push it over manually to see if you get flow with the pump running. what grey meant was the water coming out of that valve when turned is the same water you get at the hot taps not 'boiler' water.

With no 8 in manual i have got heat on pipe at 6 but cool on 7. 8 is also very warm.

Attachments

• 2-port.JPG
    2-port.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 38
By 7 is that the other side of the 2port or the pipe next to it.

Take off the motorised valve head and turn open manually and see if any heat will pass then
I'm still thinking its a faulty zone valve

The red cap above the no. 6 have you tried bleeding that to see if its just air.

Take off the motorised valve head and turn open manually and see if any heat will pass then
I'm still thinking its a faulty zone valve
done this and the valve is already in the open position but closed and opened it again to be sure. the pipe above is hot and below cold

my problem is with the water, not heating. I bleed pressure from this tonight following early suggestion on here. It did release air before water in to the tundish
if you are referring to my question, (which was before any pictures)
then what I had in mind was this
The red cap above the no. 6 have you tried bleeding that to see if its just air.
I think it is really time to call a qualified professional to sort this out, it is after all an unvented cylinder!
the potential danger from things not working properly is worrying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Cylinder No Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock