Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss unvented cylinder and stove question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rightlad

First of all id like to say hello im a newbe plumber from ni

ok so my question is. If i have a unvented cylinder in a house, whats stopping me putting in a wood burning stove that heats water and changing the heating system back to a vented system? Would there be a problem with this i ve checked around but could not get a clear answer why you could not
thanks for reading all help is appreshated

*grins*

a lack of know how on how a solid fuel systems need to be piped up is the limiting/disaster factor.

You can also put a duffer in and keep the unvented cylinder
What area are you in

You cannot put an unvented directly off a wood burner. There are alternative methods indirectly, but this needs careful design and consideration by a qualified person.

Gledhill system mate 2000 chop it up some and make store open vent?

8 replies and only one read the op, nothing to stop you converting it to ov but bit of a waste of a good system to go and revert it to dribbling taps etc :)

First of all id like to say hello im a newbe plumber from ni

ok so my question is. If i have a unvented cylinder in a house, whats stopping me putting in a wood burning stove that heats water and changing the heating system back to a vented system? Would there be a problem with this i ve checked around but could not get a clear answer why you could not
thanks for reading all help is appreshated

8 replies and only one read the op, nothing to stop you converting it to ov but bit of a waste of a good system to go and revert it to dribbling taps etc :)

I highlighted the relevant bit to assist your poor old eyes...........

like I said John all the responses were no its dangerous etc etc but what you highlighted and I mentioned is a safe option :)

My concern is over the OP thinking you can connect the wood stove to the UVC as you would any other heat source, OV or not!

You may find it doesnt circulate on gravity. Some modern cylinder coils have high resistance. Some have both tappings several inches up the cylinder and the coil drops down to the bottom of the cylinder.

You may find it doesnt circulate on gravity. Some modern cylinder coils have high resistance. Some have both tappings several inches up the cylinder and the coil drops down to the bottom of the cylinder.

quite rightly this would be more of an issue in the end if he did convert to an ov system, at least it couldnt go bang more thump thump thump from the back of the stove:)

quite rightly this would be more of an issue in the end if he did convert to an ov system, at least it couldnt go bang more thump thump thump from the back of the stove:)

And be a Big Bang if vent ever froze
And yep seen it done tuck gabble of a house out

I never really looked much at the cylinder and as i said i was only curious to what the problems with doing this is. Im in portrush direction. Going now to read tge links posted thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unvented cylinder and stove question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock