Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Unused 6 inch cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim85

Hiya fellas been meaning to join up for some time now, just looking for some info on an old soil pipe which has it's base in my garage and what I would guess runs into the sewer mains. The thing that I don't understand most is that it has no connections into the house whatsoever or no bird cage. The house is early 1900s and the pipe looks like it's probably that side of time.

It's about 6 inch in diameter and I'm guessing is cast iron. I'm trying to find out if I could cut the thing down and connect onto it with a plastic stub stack and a Fernco inside the garage for a WC.

Im one of the first houses on our sewer line so was first going to test to see if it was connected to the sewer by putting a hose in there and checking the inspection chamber outside our back gate.

Any info appreciated, even if it's to tell me that its not even a soil pipe and that I'm a complete numpty!
I'll get pics up as soon as I figure out how to from an iPhone.

Cheers
jim

Sounds like vent. Should be fine, but vents normally enter MH above channel so not best suited to solids!

MH is please? Other than main house I`m at a loss

Last edited:
Great, I had thought up a theory that it was used as a vent which would have been required back in the day, but now obsolete as my primary stack is self venting.... Am I on the right track there?

With regards to it entering the MH above the sewer line, bad idea to fit a WC to the system then?

How does it terminate at the moment Jim ?
& do you know if your sewer line has an interceptor trap in that last MH outside your gate before it goes to the main sewer in the street ?

Sounds like an air inlet.

Hi Chris thanks for the reply, it terminates outside above roof height and has no cage on it. I had a feeling it was used as a vent, looking at the size of it I thought it could have once been venting more than 1 property as we live on an end terrace. Not sure if that MH has an interceptor trap I'll check in the morning

Hi guys, after a busy month and just learning to post pics here I can finally put them up

As was previously suggested, the pipe is an air inlet which would have been coupled to a main house trap as they did back in the day.

I've got some flourescent crystals to check that it is connected to the manhole in the lane and aside from that, i'm just wondering on the state of the pipe that would connect the two, being so old.

Wether this proposed idea is doable or not, the pipe is coming down as it's hella ugly!

As I can't link URL's for some reason, I've linked the drainage plan and a picture of the stack on photobucket.
Apologies if I'm not meant to do this

~Edit for the 3rd time trying different methods... I don't seem to be allowed to post pictures here

Any way for me to get them up?

cheers

Jim

If it is an air inlet to the interceptor manhole it is likely to be close to the top & not a slipper into the main channel, it could not be used as a soil connection which I think you were after.

Most likely you could remove it without effecting the existing runs, blank it off with a drain stopper first to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unused 6 inch cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock