Search the forum,

Discuss Understanding the breakdown procedure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

MJS Heating

Hi guys, I’m After some advice please, I don’t usually do breakdowns, but with the cold weather coming I’ve started getting some calls.
I’m just wondering how you guys charge for parts etc,

just as an example.

If you turned upto a HW fault, replaced the plate to plate. Charged the customer for the part and labour. Then it turned out it wasn’t the plate to plate, how do you go about dealing with that? Does the customer still pay for this? Or do you take the hit as you made a mistake, or take the new part back out and have it for stock on your van?

I wasn’t GSR this time last year so I’m new into the game, would just like a better understanding of how the breakdown side of things work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Look at all the options, test as much as you can then replace what you honestly believe is causing you the issue.

For me, if I do get it wrong especially on intermittent faults, then customer doesn't pay. I'll even say to customer, see how it goes and will settle later.

Can't charge a customer for a mistake or your education imho

Hi guys, I’m After some advice please, I don’t usually do breakdowns, but with the cold weather coming I’ve started getting some calls.
I’m just wondering how you guys charge for parts etc,

just as an example.

If you turned upto a HW fault, replaced the plate to plate. Charged the customer for the part and labour. Then it turned out it wasn’t the plate to plate, how do you go about dealing with that? Does the customer still pay for this? Or do you take the hit as you made a mistake, or take the new part back out and have it for stock on your van?

I wasn’t GSR this time last year so I’m new into the game, would just like a better understanding of how the breakdown side of things work.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I would say if you made that mistake, you should stand the cost of it to be fair.

As above for me. Unless the engineer has discussed the situation with you and he has explained previously that it is a last resort part and if it doesn’t work to put a new boiler in. But for me that would be a sensor type of part and not a plate heat ex.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking guys, just wanted an opinion of people more experienced.

Thanks very much!
We all know how hard it is when starting off and how difficult it is to gain knowledge and experience.
No one is perfect. We spend our lives learning.
Get used to testing things so it becomes second nature, or a habit.
If you get chance, strip down an old combi in your spare time. Ask questions of those in the know and don't be afraid of doing it. Most people with knowledge love to share it.
This forum is fab for that. Get onto the Plumbers arms and Gas safe only section.

If we can help you we will. There will come a day when we older bods cannot keep up and we will no doubt rely on younger folk to help us out! lol.

It's good you had the confidence to ask. Keep it up.

When you start you will second guess yourself or over think a simple problem.

I’m finding this is happening haha, I spent 3 years working with an engineer. Gradually lost contact with him after he moved away. Decided to try and make a go of it on my own, starting with just changing taps etc, servicing boilers.
But when it comes to breakdowns, even though I have a good idea in my head, and I’ve got endless amount of study books/ fault finding books to check up on. In the back of my head there’s always a “what if” hopefully that disappears after getting it right a few times. I just don’t want to look an idiot in front of a customer :rolleyes:

I’m finding this is happening haha, I spent 3 years working with an engineer. Gradually lost contact with him after he moved away. Decided to try and make a go of it on my own, starting with just changing taps etc, servicing boilers.
But when it comes to breakdowns, even though I have a good idea in my head, and I’ve got endless amount of study books/ fault finding books to check up on. In the back of my head there’s always a “what if” hopefully that disappears after getting it right a few times. I just don’t want to look an idiot in front of a customer :rolleyes:

If you study how it works when it's working well, you will know better where to start when it's not working.
That 'what if' feeling fades with confidence and experience but it never completely disappears.

I only repair and servive boilers that are oil, but still occasionally make a mistake, usually with intermittent faults.
I will replace the most likely part and sometimes get it wrong.
One thing I would advise is if the fault is occurring every hour or two, according to customer, then to save yourself a callback, stay a while after fitting new part, get a cup of tea, whatever, just to see if fault still develops.
On oil boilers some of the small parts are not too expensive and tempting to just replace a couple of parts if the job is a long drive away, or weather severe.

I've been doing breakdowns for 10 years 6-10 a day and still come across faults I've never seen, I doubt that will ever change as there's always new tech and more complex electronics. It's not the same job as years ago when you'd just need a few thermocouples on the van. What do you fellas do if you get a recall and it's a separate fault? Say you change a fan and the pump starts leaking?

Do you find you have much argument from the customer? Like the old 'it was fine until you touched it'
Touch wood, I very rarely have an argument with a customer.
If the pump is leaking, it's leaking.
If you had your car serviced and the brake light bulb busted two week on, it would be nothing to do with the mechanic who serviced the car.

Reply to Understanding the breakdown procedure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock