Search the forum,

Discuss Under pressure! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charitynjw

Was servicing an old Thorn boiler, but had a feeling all was not well (appliance working pressure could not be adjusted down below maximum on the m/f gas valve)
Decided to check pressure at the gas meter, which is about 2m above the floor.
Standing pressure - water shot out of the top of the manometer & splashed ceiling. I tried a 2nd time, very carefully raising the pressure - water still shot out of gauge.
Working pressure (3 cooker burner rings on max) - water still bubbling out of top of 30 mbar manometer.
I'm sure that incoming supply is low pressure, not medium pressure.
So.........I'll use my LPG gauge next time :D

meter govener playing up phone transco, hope you id it and capped it off.

as PRS1 says meter governor is U/S so allowing up to 75 mbar pressure to pass.

ID and phone transco for a replacement

My record is 36 mb on a boiler swap I did in Gotham Nottingham 4 yrs ago the gas hob was like flame thrower. Transco subby came out within 4 hrs, new regulator, job done.

Standing pressures at the minute are quiet high...or atleast have been, but the working pressure should obviously be 21 give or take 2... Call transco they're usually out within 2 hours for a control issue.

Thanks guys - but if it's fixed, how will they be able to spit-roast a whole ox then lol

My record is 36 mb on a boiler swap I did in Gotham Nottingham 4 yrs ago the gas hob was like flame thrower. Transco subby came out within 4 hrs, new regulator, job done.

There are quite a few makes of meter regulators that fail. Usually a broken plastic valve spindle. National Grid/SGN replace any on the 'wanted list' on any visit but the whole issue is kept quiet as they know how expensive and time consuming a project would be to locate and replace every one. I'm surprised that the HSE haven't taken up on the issue, its very common. Appliances with their own regulators tend to cope, but I've seen badly sooted gas fires due to excess pressure.

As already stated, low pressure can be up to 75mbar, but is generally kept much lower to ease the network leakage problems. Its an important reminder to check the working pressure on any job.

had a good one with a new hob a while back, tightness test ok, remove and replace hob, tightness test, light hob ooooh cor F**k me, no eyebrows, spindle gone in meter, 38mb on burner. Custard was totally calm about it, her comment was somthing like, we always stand well back when lighting the cooker, been doing that since we moved in!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Under pressure! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock