Search the forum,

Discuss Uncovered tank in attic full of sludge/bird carcasses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jynweythek

Hi, this may seem like an absurd post but I know nothing about plumbing. Essentially I am after a bit of reassurance.

I have lived in this property (HA) for around 6 years, the building is 9 years old. It's an upstairs flat, with the downstairs flat having a separate water supply/setup. Within the first few weeks of moving in a surveyor came out to inspect the property. He stuck his head in the attic and said to his assistant: "tank is uncovered needs covering ASAP". Since then nothing.

I have had regular heating mishaps since moving here; the boiler bangs and sounds like there is scale or something similar in the pipes (clattering noise). It regularly breaks down and the pump in the cupboard (Grundfos 15-50) makes the same rattling sounds as the boiler. It frequently stops working. A new pump was fitted within a few weeks of moving in and every time a HA plumber comes out they act baffled at the fact the pump keeps breaking down. Often they will turn up unscrew the silver screw and restart the pump. Sometimes when my heating breaks down I can cycle power to the heating and eventually the pump will restart. One HA plumber came out and explained that the noises and failures were due to junk in the system and that I needed to book a full power flush. HA act like I am an idiot whenever I mention this.

Today a friend went up in my attic (I cannot) as i wanted to know which tank was uncovered and whether or not I have been drinking or bathing in putrid water (I have developed bacterial infections). He isn't a plumber but I wanted some evidence to force the HA to fix my heating once and for all. There was one large tank in the attic, lagged and covered with what looked like a black bin liner. There was a second, smaller tank higher up with a ballcock. This is not covered and my friend literally gagged when he looked inside it. There is at least one bird, possibly a rodent or two (we get starlings, squirrels and possibly bats in our attics) in the water, which he said is a foul colour and looks full of sediment, droppings and other nasties.

As far as I can tell (google) I think I have a main cold water tank, which (I think) feeds all the taps, with an expansion tank which serves the central heating. If this sounds correct I have three questions:

1: would a tank full of nasties produce the symptoms I am experiencing with my heating system?

2: (I accept this may be difficult to answer) does the contents of the smaller, putrid little tank get anywhere near the water I use to bathe, shower or wash in?

3: Should the putrid little tank be full of clean water, and should it be covered?

Essentially I need ammunition as the HA don't seem to be taking me seriously; when I called to book a power flush as suggested by one of their own plumbers they acted like I was an idiot. Also, some of the plumbers seem incredulous that my pump/heating keeps failing (one said it would be a battle to get a new pump fitted as mine was only 3 years old and this is unusual). But I have spent quite a lot of time without heating and I am loathe to keep on phoning to have it fixed when they sometimes act like I must be doing something to break the system myself.

Thanks for your time, hopefully this post is not tl;dr!

Cheers

1. Difficult to say. Without seeing quality of the heating water. You could get a sample done by fernox or sentinel. At least then you have some ammo.
2. No this water does not come into contact with drinking/bathing. It passes through a coil in your hot water tank.
3. Yes the tank should be covered and in an ideal world it would be clean, if the heating water is clean, and got inhibitor in it.

P.s take pictures, get evidence and tell them to stop dicking around :)

Hi PheonixServices, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am incredibly relieved to find this water doesn't get mixed with the potable supply as it apparently looked foul.

The heating is failing daily now (pump I think) so rather than stand cycling power until the pump starts back up I think maybe I should call them in each time which, according to my tenancy agreement, I should be doing anyway (supported housing). That way hopefully they will take it more seriously. I was removing the large screw on the pump and restarting it with a screwdriver (the plumber showed me off the record) but this often doesn't work now.

If this doesn't work I will look at a water test; I had a qoogle and there appear to be kits by fernox although I am unsure if a plumber would need to perform the test/submit the results.

It's a sad state of affairs but hopefully once they realise how much it is costing them each time to come round/continually replace the pump they may rethink.

Thanks again

IDCHAPPY: apologies, I only saw your posts after submitting my reply!

Once again I am glad to find out I am not drinking verminwater xD your reply echoes what the plumber who said I needed a powerflush said in that the system is full of rubbish. I can hear things rattling in the pipes/boiler/pump, loud enough to have woken me in the past.

I will get my friend to take some photos and will get on it. As previously mentioned I am going to call them in anyway due to the failing heater/pump. Ideally it will be the guy who seemed the most reasonable. He actually seemed a little upset that the HA had fitted what he said were decent components but were neglecting them. If he comes out I will get him to refer the job as opposed to dealing with the receptionists on the phone.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Uncovered tank in attic full of sludge/bird carcasses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I have a question about adding a second bathroom to a house. My parents house has one bathroom upstairs and the house is all mains fed the water tank was removed decades ago. They are converting the attic and will have a small bathroom with a toilet, basin and shower cubicle...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock