Currently reading:
Twin head pump or Y plan?

Discuss Twin head pump or Y plan? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Im quoting to replace a boiler (oil) and its currently got a twin head pump arrangement which seems to work ok. Shall I leave as is, or should I replace with Y plan (or even S plan I guess..).

Why is S plan the favourite? Also, I know you have to put a bypass on, but on Y plan you dont need one (although its still required) because you cannot close a 3 way valve..

ive always found 2 port valves more reliable than 3 ports

What happened to momo's hardley see them anymore allways spring return, im amazed boiler style diverter valves and motor heads have not come across in to seperate component systems like s and y plan.

ive always found 2 port valves more reliable than 3 ports

Just ran some stats, with interesting results.

Looking at our return-in-warranty stats, there is a clear difference in Honeywell valves between the 2 port and the 3 port.

The return rate on 2 port is 0.3%, or three in a thousand. The return rate for 3 port is 1.3%, or thirteen per thousand, or 4 times more failures - admittedly still a very small number.

With Drayton, both 2 port and 3 port have exactly the same failure rate - 0.8% or eight per thousand.

So the moral of the story is - if you are fitting 2 port valves, buy Honeywell, but for 3 port valves, go Drayton.

Ray, is that return rate just the warranty period of the valve? If so what is the warranty length?

Ray, is that return rate just the warranty period of the valve? If so what is the warranty length?

Yes, its just the "in-warranty" which I believe is a year on both plus 6 months shelf life time (until we introduced our minimum 2 yr warranty but that was too recent to affect this).

In that respect it doesn't help to tell you if one manufacturer has a 5 year mean time before failure and the other has 25 years.

Yes, its just the "in-warranty" which I believe is a year on both plus 6 months shelf life time (until we introduced our minimum 2 yr warranty but that was too recent to affect this).

In that respect it doesn't help to tell you if one manufacturer has a 5 year mean time before failure and the other has 25 years.
Do you have any mean time before failure info for honeywell/ drayton valves or other brand stuff?

Do you have any mean time before failure info for honeywell/ drayton valves or other brand stuff?

Nope. The manufacturers would have it, but they would probably tell you their account details and PIN number before they would release that data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Twin head pump or Y plan? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock