Search the forum,

Discuss Turning off radiators - what valve is this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quixoticish

Good morning all. I've recently moved into a new rented house and it doesn't appear to have thermostatic valves on any of the radiators. There were no knobs or decorators caps on any of them. They appear to twist if a pair of pliers or adjustable spanner is used and as they twist they also move up and down gradually but I haven't touched them with any intent yet as I'm not sure what I'm doing. Each radiator has two identical valves, one at either end, with a single pipe running up into them. It all seems simple but what I'd like to know is how to I shut off some of the radiators in the system using these valves? I'd ideally like to shut off every radiator upstairs as it turns into an oven even when the heating is off, and also the one next to the front door.

valve.jpg

Just a normal radiator valve, in my experience it would be 50:50 if they leak or not if you touch them, you'd be better off getting them replaced for thermostatics (and replace lockshields also) imho

Just a normal radiator valve, in my experience it would be 50:50 if they leak or not if you touch them, you'd be better off getting them replaced for thermostatics (and replace lockshields also) imho

Thanks Roger. Assuming I were to touch them would I just be turning them clockwise (and making the whole thing move down as I did so) to shut them off? I may give it a go and see if it works if they're probably going to need replacing anyway.

Is replacing them with thermostatics and replacing the lockshields something I could do myself, or would I really need to get a plumber in to do it?

Yes, clockwise to shut off.

To replace you could do yourself if you felt confident, would need to drain system and may need to aldjust pipework slightly., not forgetting to add inhibitor when refilling.

Yes screw them down, if they leak tell the landlord it's up to him to pay then .

sent from my annoying box

You'll have one valve each end of the radiator. The end which gets hot first is the flow (into the radiator) and the other end is the return (out of the radiator towards the boiler). You should only adjust the flow one, as the return end should have been adjusted to balance the flow through the whole system. If you alter the setting of one or more of these you risk unbalancing the system. I'd suggest making a note, for each radiator, of the number of 1/4 turns necessary to completely close (turn clockwise looking down on) each valve, then reset the return end ones to their original settings. After that you can do what you like with the flow end ones. By making a note you'll be able to reset the whole system to what it was originally.

I see from your post that the house is rented. You need the landlord's permission before doing anything like changing valves, otherwise you may find you get charged at the end of the tenancy. You might think adding thermostatic valves is a good idea, and it is, but the landlord may want to keep things simple.

Well, the operation was completed with limited success, upon further inspection it appears that the previous tenants have tried to do the exact same thing. I don't know if they've broken some of the valves but two of the radiators they've shut off are lukewarm, one is stone cold and the other is blazing hot now I've bled it, and disturbingly this one appears to full of black water which is a cause for concern as something is obviously corroding inside.

The plumbers and fitters are actually due around in a few weeks time to sort out some random DIY jobs so I'll ask then if they'd be happy to replace all of the valves.

From what you are saying the system is due for a overall ! needs cleaning and valves upgradeing to cut down on heating bills ! Who is paying for the gas ?? I think it is also a safety issue not to have the caps on the valve tops (in rented accommodation) may be wrong on this ! somthing I overherd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Turning off radiators - what valve is this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock