Search the forum,

Discuss Tundish - shorter than the required 300mm??? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Recently had a new heating system and unvented hot-water cylinder installed (conversion from vented with tank). Everything is working fine despite the installation being rushed at times.
The 'main' guy (not the installer) from the company I used (with very good ratings) - can work with unvented hot water cylinders, however the installer doesn't have the same thing listed on the Gas Safe register. I think originally, the main guy was meant to do the installation, but due to staff issues - he had to rely on other subcontracted staff.
Also, watching some youtube videos and going through the installation manual - I can immediately see that the turndish is less than 300mm before the elbow, so incorrectly installed. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence sadly in other parts of the works.
So, my question - what's the best plan of action, given the above? Payment is pending? What about the other stuff - how can I have confidence in that too? I'm thinking of sending him the pic of the installation with the details of the installation manual - just to confront him head-on.
Also, both these new products need to be registered by the installers? Is that correct too?

Is there anything else?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Open the safety valves fully and if the installation copes with the discharge then there is no issue.
The 300mm is only to help achieve this aim - if it works with a shorter pipe then that is absolutely fine in my opinion.

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the slavish adoption of the fools 💣

Open the safety valves fully and if the installation copes with the discharge then there is no issue.
The 300mm is only to help achieve this aim - if it works with a shorter pipe then that is absolutely fine in my opinion.

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the slavish adoption of the fools 💣
I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, a test under normal temperature and pressure conditions is not sufficient to prove that the system will be safe under fault conditions when the pressure / temperature can be much higher.

I had a similar problem as the OP, brought about when a new horizontal cylinder was installed. The cylinder manufacturer was subsequently reluctant to undertake a warranty repair on a leaking immersion boss as they claimed the installation was not compliant with their installation instructions, and later a different service engineer threw a wobbly at the 'under 30cm' feature.
I suggest you get it sorted now otherwise there may be grief later!

Reply to Tundish - shorter than the required 300mm??? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock