Discuss TRV's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SafeT

Hi, I have 2 questions about installing TRV's.

1) What is better, wax or liquid TRV's?
- best low cost TRV's?

2) The thermostat is between 2 large rooms with the radiators on the far side of each room.
- energy regulations say that the radiator in the room with the thermostat should not be fitted with a TRV however the distance from the thermostat to the radiators is approx 5m each way.

Any answers or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have 2 questions about installing TRV's.

1) What is better, wax or liquid TRV's?
- best low cost TRV's?

2) The thermostat is between 2 large rooms with the radiators on the far side of each room.
- energy regulations say that the radiator in the room with the thermostat should not be fitted with a TRV however the distance from the thermostat to the radiators is approx 5m each way.

Any answers or recommendations greatly appreciated.

TRV's are not expensive any more and if a cheap one sticks and you have to get someone in,thats any saving blown out the window
So buy a decent quality one
wax or liquid,liquid or wax,I would not worry,I would say wax lasts longer and more reliable,some would say liquid is more responsive,some say Tomarto,some say tamato
Your two rads,with room thermostat in middle,nothing to do with how far apart they are,they are in same room ,and room thermostat rules OK,remove both thermostatic heads from both radiators,if room heats up to quick and closes boiler off before other rooms get hot enough you will have to replace thermostatic valve heads to rads and move room thermostat to differant room

Some would say leave one thermostat head on,that way one rad can be set to close down and it will take longer to heat area with just the one other rad on,thus boiler stays on longer to allow other rooms to get hot,but not good idea and you end up with uneven heat

But then again........

Thanks Puddle. I went for the liquid sensor as the client thinks it is more responsive.

I have another problem if you can help:
The radiators are old with 22 mm (3/4 inch) and the pipes copper 15mm.
I used reducers and they have all started leaking. tried 3 different types of reduces and they still drip.
Any suggestions as I have now re-installed the old valves (non thermostatic) until I can find a solution.

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

By reducers do you mean you have old cast iron radiators with 1"BSP female threaded holes in them and you want to reduce down to 1/2" BSP to take the tails.

Use good old fashioned hemp and paste - works every time.

if you mean reducers to 3/4" pipe, you need a 1/2" compression cone in the fitting.

If it is a leak at an oilve issue, use Stag paste or similar on the olive and joint. If it still leaks use some PTFE as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRV's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock