Search the forum,

Discuss Transco rubber bandage external gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garrythegasman

I called transco out to an external iron service pipe clipped to the gable end of a large property near the town centre ,the service pipe supplied gas to one meter in the building ,this pipe had been PVC sheathed but this had peeled of over the years allowing the iron pipe to corrode in various parts along its length causing numerous leaks , I expected transco to replace the pipe but I was shocked when I returned the next day to find that they had crimped a rubber type of Sheath over the leaks, which covered about two metres I have not seen this done on a external service pipe before Any comments?

Temp fix? Probably didn't have iron gear on them. Much like kitchen fitters who haven't got a cap end just illegally disconnect hob and leave butterfly valve in off postion. ( ok cos kids are out of house)

I've seen that done before and left as a permanent fix!

Only way to be sure is to phone them again and ask the office!

Rubber sleeve still crimped on , well over two weeks later

It's allowed, they are the mighty Transco....
They seem to get away with crap we'd be roasted for :lol:

It's allowed, they are the mighty Transco....
They seem to get away with crap we'd be roasted for :lol:

I thought transco didnt exist anymore? Isnt it all National Grid now? Run by some foreign contractor like all our previously national services.

Well northern gas networks is owned by a company from Hong Kong,so is wales and west I think it is! The rest are owned by someone else.

This is an approved permanent repair technique often used on steel riser systems. It is known as a Raychem sleeve. The pipe is blasted clean and prepared, then the sleeve applied. It is only used for minor leakage and often on screwed joints which cannot easily be dissassembled. Also where steel risers pass through concrete floors and have suffered contact/wet corrosion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Transco rubber bandage external gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
A
I had a combi boiler fitted in the garage recently which has meant a lot of copper pipe external to the house and throughout the garage. Metres of it. None of it has been lagged what should I do and or have expected from the installer.
Replies
Views
D
Hey all. I'm installing a new toilet (Bunnings special...) in my ensuite. I seemingly had it all connected properly, but when I was testing for leaks by flushing over and over it started leaking.. It seems like it's leaking where the rubber vario bend seal goes over the china toilet pan outlet...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock