Discuss Towel left in boiler by engineer? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I took out a boiler insurance policy and an engineer came out first to check if my boiler was in a good condition to go ahead with the policy. The engineer said the pressure was too low and fixed the problem. At the end he said it was all fine and shouldn't be a problem, the water was a bit dirty in the system but he didn't think it was worth doing anything about it.
A few days later i got an e-mail saying that the report had showed that the boiler needed some repairs and the policy was frozen until it was fixed. I inquired and they said they had done a water sample (the engineer never mentioned this) and that the system needed flushing at a cost of £750. I questioned this and asked for a report. In the meantime i was checking the boiler pressure when i noticed the end of a towel sticking out the boiler casing. I took the bottom off and found one of my kitchen towels stuffed into the middle of the boiler!! I'm no expert but that seems dangerous to me, and he never mentioned it. I was there the whole time sitting in the next room chatting to him.
Report-
BHC failed due to water being dirty failed turbidity test pumped up flat expansion vessel tested all disturbed gas points with LDF and EGD inlet working pressure 18.79mbar gas rate 28.48kw fan speed -5.36mbar fga high 0.0010/9.3/97 fga low 0.0000/9.2/5 1-ncs interior side of flue not sealed

Any advice please??

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 45
So your boiler despite working ok doesn't meet the required standard to be insured, find somebody else preferably a local engineer/company that can offer you cover and you can trust.

It's not leaking is it and the towels were a preventative measure?

So your boiler despite working ok doesn't meet the required standard to be insured, find somebody else preferably a local engineer/company that can offer you cover and you can trust.

It's not leaking is it and the towels were a preventative measure?
No its not leaking which is why i couldn't understand it being there?

What are the terms of the Insurance, is it pay upfront, then subject to Boiler Health Check the policy goes ahead?
What if the boiler, as yours appears to, requires work or even replacing and you don't want to proceed, is it full refund or minus the cost of the Health check or ??

As gmartine has said, Look for cover with another company.

What are the terms of the Insurance, is it pay upfront, then subject to Boiler Health Check the policy goes ahead?
What if the boiler, as yours appears to, requires work or even replacing and you don't want to proceed, is it full refund or minus the cost of the Health check or ??
no upfront costs, has to pass the health check before the policy will start.

Has it ever been serviced or repaired? Your system may actually need cleaning then but you can get a flush done for far less than that quoted, the cleanliness of a system often corresponds to the reliability of the boiler. You may need to find specific cover for older boilers which will normally involve an excess.

Reply to Towel left in boiler by engineer? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock