Discuss Top-up bottle valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ian29gte

I have a sealed system, with a plastic top-up bottle. The bottle is connected to the system via plastic tube, and a valve. When the system is pressurised, the valve to the bottle shuts. Should the pressure drop in the system, the valve opens to allow the water in the top-up bottle to drain into the system, keeping it topped up.

The valve was playing up yesterday, so I stripped it and found some thread tape stuck underneath it. It's working fine now, but I have been unable to locate any valve of this type, in case I'm not so lucky in the future.

The valve is brass, has a threaded port for a auto air vent. It has KIWA and Ocean stamped into it. Two local plumbers merchants said they'd never seen anything like it before, and an Internet search has so far proved fruitless.

Any suggestions?

I would if I knew how. The usual method of posting Photobucket links doesn't work here.

Thanks to Petercj, I've managed to do it!

Please see. First picture is top-up bottle end, third is from pressure system end, and last is how it's fitted.

valve4.jpgvalve1.jpgvalve2.jpgvalve3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
havent seen one of those for over 20 years it was the first attempts to fill sealed systems automaticly i cant recall where they came from you will probably have to change it to a filling loop or repipe it using a non return valve

Last edited:
The system was put in in about 1988, so I guess you're right. There's already a mains filling loop, but if the pressure falls due to a leak to below that in the bottle, it automatically drains into the system. And as the boiler has no water pressure cut-out switch, only an over-temperature switch, it's a pretty good function. I reckon the bottle holds about 3 - 4 litres.

Still, if no one knows where I can find a new one, so I expect I shall simply have to put a manual valve in there instead. Shame.

Interesting Ian, I dont suppose you would have a picture of the top up bottle in service would you, I could do with that, thanks, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Top-up bottle valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back