Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Toilet seat moving slightly in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howy1

howy1 Member

Hi , trivial thing but I live in new build house and one of the loo seats is slightly loose annoying the guvner , I struggle to get my hand in to tighten the seat so my question is are these assembled on the pan before install !
    Cheers Howy .

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not normally, you should be able to get in to tighten it , post a pic .

3. howy1

howy1 Member

Not very good at pics but will try , the pan is the type where you cant see the coupling to the pan its like a built in recess .

4. townfanjon

Erm , if you cant post a pic , just look for any plastic or chrome caps etc that may lift to reveal a screw , allen bolt or grub screw etc

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If it is a back to wall pan mate. They will tighten from the top but where the hinges are there will be round/oblong chrome cover that will need removing first. You have have to remove the seat from the hinge.

6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Or any caps that you can push in and hold in whilst you pull the seat off.

7. townfanjon

Yep we need a pic

8. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

When you've got the pic, I'd dismantle completely and clean VERY well. Pref with meths or IPA. Make sure all plastic is spotless AS WELL AS the face of the pot. If ANY dampness exists then it will ALWAYS move. Personally, odd as it is, I borrow the homeowners hair dryer and warm the pottery and parts so NO moisture is present. Then when you put it all together the plastic gets more 'stuck' to the glaze of the pottery and it holds fast.

9. howy1

howy1 Member

Couldn't get a photo where bolts are to tight .

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

10. howy1

howy1 Member

Oops looks like I did get one of the bolts in

11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Best way but not easy

Remove the toilet seat (eg undoing the wing nuts etc)

Get some nyloc nuts that are the same size as the thread

Clean everything

Reassemble with the nylocs instead of the wing nuts and tighten down with a ratcheting spanner

• Like Like x 1
  12. howy1

howy1 Member

Your right when you say not easy , I am sure it must have been put on before install , but shall take on the task :) thanks all .
    Howy .