Discuss Toilet Running Overnight in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Got a streak of ice on the brickwork outside underneath the upstairs toilet cisterns overflow outlet which I only noticed as it's sub zero. Seems to be thicker everyday due to outlet pipe being snapped to the level of the brick. Checked the cistern and it seems to fill up and stop at a suitable level so bit perflexed why at night it seems to be running and annoyed and not been able to catch it in the act yet. Only thought could be water pressure overnight? I also have the heating on at night due to the temps.

Yes quite common for water pressure to increase at night so shows anything that’s going to fail soon

No sorry needs a new washer or inlet valve

It's a ball cock style valve. Is the washer you're talking about one at the bottom of the valve/cistern where you fix it on the cistern

Woke up at 5am today to look and fresh ice. Inside the cistern the water level was right at the edge of the overflow and outside of seeing a bit of dust moving along the water I could not see any waterflow whatsoever.

Plumber replaced the washer in the valve and it still leaks abeit at a slower rate. One question. When I put my ear to the cistern when it's leaking I can hear a soft sounding straining/running water sound and wonder if it's related. Probably the main water tank(it's tank fed) filling up. It takes ages to stop filling.

Reply to Toilet Running Overnight in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hello, I've had unfortunate issues throughout my adult life and more so since switching to a largely plant based diet of blocking toilets...
Replies
Views
Hi, In the process of a new build and we have routed a MDPE pipe through a lintel in the DPC but unable to bend it to the correct location due to...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, one of the two hooks on my toilet Torbeck fill valve has broken, and so the float can't connect. I've bought a new fill valve, however it's...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, looking for some soil pipe/stack help please. I bought my first house end December and unfortunately had a toilet pipe blockage within a...
Replies
Views
Sorry this is a bit long but I need to explain the scenario. My neighbour's soil pipe runs underneath the backyard of my house (where my son, his...
Replies
Views
Back