Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Flush Pipe Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JFraser83

I have a leak coming from the back of my toilet, from what i believe to be known as the flush pipe? I have looked all over the internet and not seen an attachment like the offending part anywhere? See image. It is a close coupled toilet, but with this connection feeding the water from the cistern upon flushing.

Quite a substantial amount of water comes out on every flush, from where the red arrow is pointing.

Before I undo it to see what is causing the leak, I wondered if anyone has seen this before, or should i be warey that parts dont exist for this anymore (im guessing it will be a new rubber washer/flange job). Or what I am expected to find under there. I dont want to take it off and not be able to put it back in a fixed state.

Also any safety tips (not flooding my house!) plus gerenal advice/tips would be appreciated.

p.s. As you probably have guessed im an amateur plumber!

Attachments

• Toilet Leak.jpg
    Toilet Leak.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Toilet Leak 2.jpg
    Toilet Leak 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 64
I used to come across these a lot on a housing contract. They're a total nightmare and I honestly don't know why anyone thought they were a good idea :s

Anyway, we used to get the new gubbins from plumb centre, take the picture in and the chances are they'll be able to get you sorted. Get the parts before you dismantle the toilet, otherwise youre in for a world of trouble if things go wrong. Pretty obvious how to fit it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

best bet would be to take it out. so isolate the water supply to the toilet, flush the toilet then using a sponge soak all the water up from the cistern and inside the toilet, take the fitting off the back althought it looks all rusty may be a bit of a job, once its off give it all a good clean and make sure its nice and dry, then silicone silicone the fitting and back of wc to try and stop the leak. if all fails a new close coupled wc will be easiest option

You may be better changing the wc by the time you buy the parts to repair imo,you can get a wc for about £60

You may be better changing the wc by the time you buy the parts to repair imo,you can get a wc for about £60

Problem with changing toilets is it often leads to a change of flooring. That plastic elbow and associated gubbins should be no more than 15 quid and it's an easy fix

Compared to a normal CC toilet, maybe I was being dramatic haha. They're awkward but easily fixable.

Cheers for advice guys. Its good to know these are out there somewhere and can be easily replaced.

TBServices, do you know if this is just one whole unit, or is there a persihsed gromit/washer inside that could be the problem?

It's generally just the rubber flush cone that's gone, but the problem you will have is getting the plastic housing removed, so if you don't have all the parts ready and something breaks (likely due to all the rust etc) you'll be up the creek.

If money is not a problem i would replace wc/cistern, It looks like a pain to fix properly

screwfix are doing close coupled systems @ an amazing £50 at this moment in time I'd have thought it'd be worth pulling that apart and finding a new one in its place as I'm sure it won't be far oof the replacement part price let alone you'll have to ALMOST cover the same procedure in repair.....GOOD LUCK with future flush Scotty

screwfix are doing close coupled systems @ an amazing £50 at this moment in time I'd have thought it'd be worth pulling that apart and finding a new one in its place as I'm sure it won't be far oof the replacement part price let alone you'll have to ALMOST cover the same procedure in repair.....GOOD LUCK with future flush Scotty
Future flush???

No not future flush, I meant flushing your close coupled loo that has the leak in it!

Take apart, dry up, Lsx, leave for an hour, test.

Here it is Scotty, hopefullt it'll be bit cheaper with likes of fresh water regs there
http://www.*************/p/trade-basics-toilet-to-go-close-coupled-toilet-6ltr/78711

and its dual flusher.. best of lucky luck http://www.*************/search.do?fh_search=close coupled toilet&fh_start_index=20&fh_sort_by=&fhSearchParams=&customPrice=&priceFrom=&priceTo=&priceFilterOn=

Hope you got the link scotty http://www.*************/search.do?fh_search=close coupled toilet&fh_start_index=20&fh_sort_by=&fhSearchParams=&customPrice=&priceFrom=&priceTo=&priceFilterOn=

I come across these everyday as people have said they are a pain.
I have fixed a few but some still leak so everytime i see one i just re-book and replace, If your gonna have a go try a new doughnut washer kit and some CT-1 good luck!

spanner is this screw fix or tool station?

Its Screwfix and the one I've selected is around £60, but not the one which was on the offer :welcome: Product Code: 78711

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet Flush Pipe Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock