Discuss Tightness testing on gas installations in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I would class it as an new install but with appliances connected

Cookers are notorious for small drops

You would need to test this on pipework only as others have said.

There should be no drop on domestic pipework only whether existing or not.

If there is no isolation on the Boiler then one should be installed. It should have one and you need one to continue the test correctly.

If you have a drop, you cannot correctly assess whether the ECV is passing unless you disconnect and use a cap and test point directly on the valve itself. You also cannot be certain how big the drop is until you have proved the ECV is good.

I would class it as an new install but with appliances connected

Cookers are notorious for small drops

thanks for your response
[automerge]1587307129[/automerge]
You would need to test this on pipework only as others have said.

There should be no drop on domestic pipework only whether existing or not.

If there is no isolation on the Boiler then one should be installed. It should have one and you need one to continue the test correctly.

If you have a drop, you cannot correctly assess whether the ECV is passing unless you disconnect and use a cap and test point directly on the valve itself. You also cannot be certain how big the drop is until you have proved the ECV is good.

so if you was to tightness test a job you haven’t worked on. During the let by test there is a drop. You then test for tightness on an e6 and it drops 1mbar over 2 minutes and pipework not all accessible and appliances not all with iso valves. Would you deem it unsafe
[automerge]1587307300[/automerge]
Appreciate the feedback. We used a full can of leak detector on all the new joints (probably about 15 in total) over and over again. And nothing. Not even a slight bubble. The engineer was happy that it was in the safe limit. But for some reason he was checking.

Would you guys walk away from that or not?

also is it possible rocol leak detector wouldn’t pick it up? is there a good gas sniffer on the market that’s reasonably priced and more reliable than ldf. Thanks

essential gas safety - eighth edition.

I want to know if an 80% gas pipe upgrade comes under a “new” or “existing” installation. The corgi book does state this. To me you could argue it could be either

Fwiw, of the textbooks I looked at when I did my gas (recently) the best I found was the corgi book (which you have).

thanks for your response
[automerge]1587307129[/automerge]

so if you was to tightness test a job you haven’t worked on. During the let by test there is a drop. You then test for tightness on an e6 and it drops 1mbar over 2 minutes and pipework not all accessible and appliances not all with iso valves. Would you deem it unsafe
[automerge]1587307300[/automerge]
Appreciate the feedback. We used a full can of leak detector on all the new joints (probably about 15 in total) over and over again. And nothing. Not even a slight bubble. The engineer was happy that it was in the safe limit. But for some reason he was checking.

Would you guys walk away from that or not?

also is it possible rocol leak detector wouldn’t pick it up? is there a good gas sniffer on the market that’s reasonably priced and more reliable than ldf. Thanks

Aslong as there’s no smell of gas / report of smell then it’s fine some of the new digi meters have an allowable limit of around 4-6 mbar depending on brand

External pipe work or internal ?

Reply to Tightness testing on gas installations in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock