Discuss The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

.....I've seen too many of them burst especially the cheap imported ones to place any confidence in them at all. One was on the counter in PTS today being returned as it had burst and had a quarter inch gash down the middle of it. I've seen perfectly installed ones with no kinks, twists or strains of any kinds burst for no apparent reason. At the end of the day they are basically a rubber hose covered in braid.

I now only use copper and having come through and used the Speedfit renaissance, I have a sense of pride with my work with copper and work completed with my bending machine. I can bend an offset very quickly and know that it won't burst either.

I'm not in any way making a dig at those who use flexis and plastic plumbing, for everyone is entitled to have their own preference, but in my opinion copper and soldered fittings or Kuterlite compression fittings will outlast any plastic installation and look far more professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe im too young in the game to commet, but ive only seen one that has failed and that was because it was kinked. i really rate them. they are great on cold inlets to cisterns because they are less likely to cross thread as you can 'feel' it better.
i also think they are good for connections on bath taps that are on the back of a wall. you can connect hep to them, and push the bath into place without worrying you are straining it too much :)

Glad to hear you are a "convert" to copper & brass System! Also, it is a good way to sell yourself to potential customers.
As you say, no matter how you look at it, flexis are just a light rubber hose.

What happens when you have to use flexis for fan coils etc?

copper and solder is first choice for me always, but plastic and braided hoses have there place,

maybe im too young in the game to commet, but ive only seen one that has failed and that was because it was kinked. i really rate them. they are great on cold inlets to cisterns because they are less likely to cross thread as you can 'feel' it better.
i also think they are good for connections on bath taps that are on the back of a wall. you can connect hep to them, and push the bath into place without worrying you are straining it too much :)

Go on, - do it properly, - use copper straight to taps, carefully bent/ soldered & push the bath in & connect the other ends! :grin:

you can connect hep to them, and push the bath into place without worrying you are straining it too much :)
The one and only failure I had with Speedfit was connecting to a 22mm flexi on a bath tap. It was properly compressed, used the correct insert and a copper olive, but it lasted for two weeks and blew itself into orbit for no reason at all. I stopped using it after this as once is enough for me.

used loads of flexis never had a problem or seen one burst why do some plumbers think if its not copper it must be carp!

used loads of flexis never had a problem or seen one burst why do some plumbers think if its not copper it must be carp!
Not Carp, maybe a bucket of trout mate. Not snobbery or the "we're better than you coz we use copper and you dont". My post is not slating plastics and flexis it's my opinion and I have seen too many failures to feel confident about using them. If you like using plastic and flexis, then ok that is your preference.

That's the problem with the debate. We don't know what the actual liklihood is. We only have personal experience, anecdotal evidence and educated guesses. None of that equates to data but it can all build a superficially convincing but realistically distorted picture.

Say if we actually had the figure, right now, of how likely a flexible hose is likely to leak/burst at some point in say a 10 year period, averaged out, taking into consideration all qualities of hose and all applications, then we could decide whether we deemed that risk acceptible or a liability.

How unlikely copper is to fail is a separate point. There could be an imaginary super material that will last ten thousand years but that wouldn't invalidate the use of copper by comparison.

What we need is the odds.

something like this..

100,000-1 = fine by me.

1000-1 = not wise

tho i always stand by you claire, i just carn't on this one..sorry
YES.....it breaks my heart :cry_smile: ***

and AND absolutely no amount of persuasion will make me change my mind on this one :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock