Discuss The Green Deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAH HEATING

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just reading a bit about it in the monthly mag, I have an old 1920s house that has an old myson Apollo and gravity hot water...

no insulation, or double glazing with me being a landlord if I got an assessor out.... Would the works sThat got carried on, simply go onto the tenants fuel bill ?

I'm going to otherwise get the system changed by myself an pay for the windows to be done

if the governmeny was willing to invest in decent renewables and bin all the wind farm hype Id start taking it seriously. How they think its warrants spending millions on an unreliable system beggars belief. why for instance do those in charge insist on putting wind turbines in the bristol channel that wont work all the time when there is a perfectly good rise and fall of the tide for 22 hours a day to drive water turbines or utilise wave machines. The only reason wind turbines sprout up everywhere is they are over subsidised and wouldnt be viable without government support and money on our power bills.

Likewise why as technicians are we having to do paperwork exercises and jump through hoops to prove we can do the job? Because the bigger companies exert to much power in government and they dont want us involved. As a small company Ilooked at the potential returns on mcs etc and until theose in charge get there act together I couldnt see any, of thew companies I know of locally who have done all the changeover so far, the biggest one has just gone bust, 2 others are struggling now pv subsidies have changed and another one is giving it up as it hasnt helped them at all. You can say well they did it wrong but unless your in a high population area there just isnt the work or money out there at present. If nostrum is doing ok good for him, for the average contractor its just another waste of time, as mentioned a voucher scheme would be cheap to run and far far far more successful, probably to successful which is why it hasnt been used!

Last post in this thread as its not constructive, I agree somewhat about MCS. The domestic RHI has caused a lot of grief in the industry as it gets pushed back again and again, biomass is doing on out of the commercial though.

as for green deal. You need to have a dig around, find the official documents and have a read about how the payment system operates. The voucher system won't work, any anyway who are you to tell private companies how they spend their money? Remember this isn't tax payers money, it's coughed up by the big six to avoid the fines they face when they signed up!

Sorry mate but your wrong.

that may be so but a breakdown of what you reckon to earn on in a private forum may go a long way to proving him wrong and you right. All my experience to date is the schemes are a paper chase process and just as bad as any iso accreditation etc and dont warrant the hassle. Plus the fact that one larger local contractor has gone down the tubes having concentrated on renewables when they did fine as a domestic contractor previously.

Last post in this thread as its not constructive, I agree somewhat about MCS. The domestic RHI has caused a lot of grief in the industry as it gets pushed back again and again, biomass is doing on out of the commercial though.

as for green deal. You need to have a dig around, find the official documents and have a read about how the payment system operates. The voucher system won't work, any anyway who are you to tell private companies how they spend their money? Remember this isn't tax payers money, it's coughed up by the big six to avoid the fines they face when they signed up!

which is why the whole thing is so bum about face. the people supposed to be providing green energy recieve subsidies from the government/customers to do so, then have to pay some back through elongated schemes when the best option would be to make it law to provided renewable energy, forget all subsidies and let the energy firms adjust their prices within reason and allow them to choose the methology for going green. they pay their taxes or fines to government who can then issue simple vouchers to end users to choose what they want to do. forget all the mind numbing paperwork inbetween.

Norstrum may think this to be a non constructive thread but just saying we are wrong isnt a reasonable arguement either

Ok, one more post !

ive put a lot of time and effort into attending seminars and speaking with people to find out the real ins and out of the scheme. Perhaps if others did the same rather than rely on the opinions of others without lifting a finger themselves they would be better informed. Certainly on the open forum I'm not going to sprout off about it all for everyone to see including the potentials clients.

In respect to MCS. Most of the companies who have been bitten are companies who popped up overnight to offer solar p.v due to the amount of profit on offer! Jumping in with both feet to make a killing, then not have anything to fall back on when the bottom fell out of it when the tariffs changed. Not entirely there fault, the government cocked it up big time by slashing the FIT over night. I've got first hand experience of this subject so feel I know the situation quite well!

Your right, unless the subsidies are there, renewables don't add up in some instances, the green deal may change that, but it is so complicated a lot are put off including myself for the time being. The FIT fiasco left a sour taste so people will be very wary about the RHI payments as well.

Eaton seems to do well out of heat pumps without the RHI being released so there are cases where the savings are enough to warrant the cost of work. You just need to be able to do the maths rather than blanket statements about certain technologies not working or whatever.

The forums can have a really damaging impact on the industry if it is full of personal opinions without substance.

What you write could be read by your potential customers in the future. Best to make sure its right and accurate.

CONSPIRACY.png

Ok, one more post !

ive put a lot of time and effort into attending seminars and speaking with people to find out the real ins and out of the scheme. Perhaps if others did the same rather than rely on the opinions of others without lifting a finger themselves they would be better informed. Certainly on the open forum I'm not going to sprout off about it all for everyone to see including the potentials clients.

In respect to MCS. Most of the companies who have been bitten are companies who popped up overnight to offer solar p.v due to the amount of profit on offer! Jumping in with both feet to make a killing, then not have anything to fall back on when the bottom fell out of it when the tariffs changed. Not entirely there fault, the government cocked it up big time by slashing the FIT over night. I've got first hand experience of this subject so feel I know the situation quite well!

Your right, unless the subsidies are there, renewables don't add up in some instances, the green deal may change that, but it is so complicated a lot are put off including myself for the time being. The FIT fiasco left a sour taste so people will be very wary about the RHI payments as well.

Eaton seems to do well out of heat pumps without the RHI being released so there are cases where the savings are enough to warrant the cost of work. You just need to be able to do the maths rather than blanket statements about certain technologies not working or whatever.

The forums can have a really damaging impact on the industry if it is full of personal opinions without substance.

What you write could be read by your potential customers in the future. Best to make sure its right and accurate.

i agree what your saying and where coming from.

but for me the regulatory burden for a one man band i feel is just too much. for the amount of money that has been thrown at this scheme. it would have been far simpler to offer a voucher scheme and then afterwards to comply you could have the installation inspected by a governing body ie gas safe mcs body for a reasonable fee which could be deducted from final payment if it complys you get paid or you have to get it upto spec to get paid that isnt difficult it creates jobs as you need inspectors and not the sharks middlemen who know feck all about heating and renewables.

although i am not interested in the green deal the eco affordable warmth scheme is more appealing however have no idea how you go about finding relevant info foer installers

Trust me I'm not, I know 3 firms doing the £1500 instal currently, as I've said I've had very in depth conversations with people already involved. Eco scheme is warm front end of, green deal isn't currently set up for heatpumps or solar its geared at insulation which is something we already had in place and was going well.

The Eco scheme is the green deal its just a branch off of it. You'd need pas to get green deal then you can get in contact with manufacturers about evo grants.

I've done 100s of surveys for the affordable warmth ECO scheme, most of which are combi swops. From the installers point of view, like everything else, there's good companies & bad doing it, some are paying £130/swop & other better ones are paying £250/swop. Some are doing full powerflush, which as we all know is required!! Others dont bother & stick some X800 in for a few day before the swop, then hot & cold flush it.

Oh there's plenty work out there on these schemes for RGIs, but be selective who you work for. I enjoy the work & it keeps me off my knackered knees for a few days a week & the firm I'm doing them for do a good job, have a high standard of work & only work for the likes of SSE - that do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The Green Deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back