Search the forum,

Discuss The college has withdrawn my funding for a plumbing course- are they messing with me? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

textbook

[h=1][/h] I wanted to sign up for a plumbing course it is the City and Guilds Plumbing level 2 (technical certificate level 2). The course is at a local further education college. When I initially asked if this p/t course was available at a reduced rate - (original fee - 2600 pounds and reduced to 700 pounds) the lady said she would have to wait to find out which courses were going to be funded for 2011-2012. When she found out she called me and said this particular plumbing course is available at the reduced rate so I went along to the college with the award form confirming I am on job seekers and enrolled for the 700 pound fee. I had previously called the course tutor he gave me his enthusiastic sales pitch- saying after the technical certificate for 2600 pounds he could set people up with employers so they could get their NVQ (work based qualification) for another fee of 2900 pounds. He continued talking away then I asked if there was a discount for people on job seekers and he went quiet for ten seconds and changed his tune. This was two weeks before I enrolled. When I went to enroll he had sent a letter to the women who deal with enrollments saying he didn't think I understood about the course (I think he just didn't want someone on job seekers enrolling). i said i knew about the 2900 pounds NVQ qualification and had money. Anyway, two weeks after I enrolled the lady who deals with funding calls me from the college and says I am not eligible for the discount she said she confused last years funding. I smelt a rat and have suspected that the tutor of the course had words with the person and who deals with the allocation of funding and that person changed the funding for the particular course. The tutor is after all charging 2900 pounds to pay employers to take people for the NVQ. Is there anything I can do about this? Is it worth hiring a lawyer? Going to CAB? -The funding lady said she had waited for the funding allocation for years 2011-2012 and it was allowed, then seemed to be lying when she said she had got confused and it was the previous years.

I called the job centre and they said the government give each college a pool of money and they can decide which courses are allocated discounts and can change this when they want.

Re: The college has withdrawn my funding for a plumbing course- are they messing with

The funding for the 6129 has been on off on off for some time. The qual is out of date and has only recently been extended, that doesnt mean its funded. Then it became available for funding, that does not mean its funded just that it is available for funding. Seems that the government will only fund 16-18 year olds.

The job seekers thing is good for colleges, if they take a student on with job seekers then they are guaranteed the money from the government as opposed to invoicing students so that wouldnt put them off. There have been changes to this recently so again its difficult for them to keep up.

Remember, the college have no say in any of this, the qual the funding and the benefits issues are put on them from the government and/or sector skills councils etc

The 6129 is an NQF qual and should have closed last year, due to issues around the 6189 and the wolf report it has been extended

Re: The college has withdrawn my funding for a plumbing course- are they messing with

How do you know the course being offered is 6129? Should i contact the college to find out if it is?

think you need to know which qual. you say colleges get a pool of money and then decide what can be funded/???? they have that wrong, they are told which courses are funded and by how much for which age group

what course do you think it is?

oh, youve put in op tech cert, the tech cert is the 6129 mate

think you need to know which qual. you say colleges get a pool of money and then decide what can be funded/???? they have that wrong, they are told which courses are funded and by how much for which age group

what course do you think it is?

So the government tells the colleges which courses are funded? Is there anywhere I can check that the technical certificate is/isn't funded outside of this particular college? e.g. a government number which lists which courses are eligible for funding. Check they haven't been lying to me- the communications with them have been suspicious to say the least.

Is the technical certificate 6129 not worth doing? The guy does offer the NVQ level 2 as a follow on from the technical certificate-You pay 2900 pounds and he will find you an employer (his mates haha I suspect) and it is in the evening and you can come in anytime you like to work on stuff. Does the course sound ok?

I mean you have as long as you want to work on things over a year, surely that is better than doing those intensive courses for six weeks.

My advice for the next time – get your course fee in writing and dated. That way a college can’t fiddle the figures.

Derby College have just told me that the part time gas course I was interested in is full cost and that there are no remitted fees for unemployed etc folk so I'm not surprised that you are being told to pay.

Sucks but in this country to better yourself first you have to beat the system along with the trade.

if you dont pay who should pay for your course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The college has withdrawn my funding for a plumbing course- are they messing with me? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock