Discuss TBOE radiators in new build incorrectly piped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes, Probably not thermodynamically very accurate but I just averaged all the temps and the BTOE was 51.5C="31.5 deg rad" or 55% output of a 50 deg rad, the TBOE was 59.C="39.1deg" rad or 73% & the best (marginally, apart from the quickest heat up) was the the BOE, 60.9C="40.9deg" rad or 77%.

Yes, Probably not thermodynamically very accurate.

If the flow rate was the same in each case, it would more accurate to infer the emitted power from the fact it's proportional to deltaT. If this is correct, there is only a 10% advantage for TBOE over BTOE at deltaT = 9 °C. The heating engineers the OP is arguing with are claiming TBOE vs BTOE makes an insignificant difference and this result supports them; if the OP's radiators are running at deltaT = 3 °C rather than 10 °C the difference will be even smaller.

If the flow rate was the same in each case, it would more accurate to infer the emitted power from the fact it's proportional to deltaT. If this is correct, there is only a 10% advantage for TBOE over BTOE at deltaT = 9 °C. The heating engineers the OP is arguing with are claiming TBOE vs BTOE makes an insignificant difference and this result supports them; if the OP's radiators are running at deltaT = 3 °C rather than 10 °C the difference will be even smaller.
I wouldn't mind betting the 3 °C was not as per the design. With these communal systems the heating pant is invariable N.gas powered & capable of condensing so the design should be very much that of the domestic gas boilers system.

It must be remembered that normally the mean rad temperature is conveniently taken as (flowtemp+returntemp)/2, this in turn infers that there is a gradual fall in temperature between the flow and return which can be seen quite clearly in the sketch in both the BOE & the TBOE cases but not in the BTOE case where several temperatures are only in the 40s. To put it another way, when I average the 15 readings in both the BOE & the TBOE and compare them with their mean temps based on (flow+return)/2, one gets (BOE) 60.9 vs 61 & (TBOE) 59.1 vs 59, very close in both cases.
If one compares these numbers in (BTOE) one gets 51.5 vs 60.5, a huge difference (obviously because of the non linear fall in the actual rad temps).
If one accepts this reasoning, then the BOE is the best performing rad and is a (61-20) "41 deg rad"(partly because of the low flow temp of 65C), the next best is the TBOE, a (59-20) 39 deg rad, almost identical (apart from slower warm up) than the BOE.
The BTOE rad is only a (51.5-20) 31.5 deg rad so its performance using the BOE as the bench mark is only outputting (31.5/41)^1.3, ~ 71% of the BOE output?.

I have just cleaned up the sketch, it seems pretty clear that convection just won't work properly in any system with the return on the top. In the BTOE there are 8 readings between 45C and 38C, the flow just seems to flow upwards to the top of the rad and then partially short circuits out the other end whereas in the other two it flows along the top of the rad and then drops down in parallel flow paths and out the return, (makes sense I suppose).
BTOE, BOE & TBOE Rad Temp.jpg

John.g how did you arrive at the figure of 71% output in comparison with the BOE? I understand everything but your calculation of (31.5/41)^1.3 ~71%. I’m not an installer, I work with oil fired appliances but I’m keen to fully understand this.

Reply to TBOE radiators in new build incorrectly piped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock