Discuss TBOE radiators in new build incorrectly piped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I am seeking some advice. We moved in last year to a new build flat which has 6 TBOE radiators with TRV's at the top. The new build flat uses a heat exchange unit as it is connected to district heating system. All pipework is behind the plasterboards and run up in the ceiling.

I have noticed that the return is actually at the top of the radiators and the feed is from the bottom. The radiators do get hot but take around 30 to 40 minutes to get hot. I have also issues with lots of air in the system.

I know this is incorrect so logged this as a defect. The engineers who fitted the system stipulated that it did not matter which way around the pipework was fitted as the TRV was bi directional. So the developer will not charge the pipework around as the radiators get hot.

I have even asked NHBC and they have stated that as long as the radiators get hot it does not matter whether the pipework was fitted incorrectly.

Can anyone clarify why the feed should not be at the bottom and what problems can it cause. Would my heating work more efficiently if radiators were plumbed in correctly i.e fed from the top?

Also can anyone suggest how I could some how get the developer to change their minds. Maybe possibly by getting independent report.

Many Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Yes it matters return should be at the bottom so when the water cools it flows into the return

Basically assume it's inefficient. Engineer used thermal camera and you can clearly see the temperature difference between incoming and return being on 3 degrees. Incoming was 53 and return was 50. Bottom of radiator was 40 degrees. It makes more sense to return the cooler water than the hotter water.

Assume this also will cost me more money in my heating bills?

If you only have a 3°C difference from flow to return then there is a chance that your boiler isnt condensing properly either

Basically assume it's inefficient. Engineer used thermal camera and you can clearly see the temperature difference between incoming and return being on 3 degrees. Incoming was 53 and return was 50. Bottom of radiator was 40 degrees. It makes more sense to return the cooler water than the hotter water.

Assume this also will cost me more money in my heating bills?

The flow should be from top to bottom, the bi directional TRV can be at either end.
You might have a very cold house/room as rads now a days are rated as "50 deg" rads which is (flowtemp+returntemp)/2 - 20. your rads are "32 deg" rads, which will only emit 56% of their rated output except that they are over sized to take this factor into account.

Is the issue just the time that the radiator takes to heat up or is the room taking a long time to warm up as well?

Rooms take a long time to warm up. I believe the developer needs to resolve and should get it working as specified according to their design.
Also this should in turn reduce the heating bills.

Thanks for all your responses. I have arranged another meeting with the developers to discuss.

Reply to TBOE radiators in new build incorrectly piped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock