Search the forum,

Discuss Tap magician plumbers box in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I need to get a good selection of ceramic disk cartridges for taps has anyone bought the box from tap magician if so would they recommend it? i live in a hard water area and get a lot of call out to taps dripping i carry the carts from screwfix but they dont fit all taps. (ie bristan) and help would be great

regards

Hi All

I need to get a good selection of ceramic disk cartridges for taps has anyone bought the box from tap magician if so would they recommend it? i live in a hard water area and get a lot of call out to taps dripping i carry the carts from screwfix but they dont fit all taps. (ie bristan) and help would be great

regards
Screwfix do sell Bristan valves, not listed in the book but available online. The tap magician box looks good and probably worth buying if you do lots of jobs on call outs.
Not so good if you end up with 1/2 box of unused valves after 6 months.
I like you buy the valves from Screwfix, I also have got a spline finder guide, if the customer isn’t desperate to get their tap repaired I find out which CD valves are required and then order online ( various places including eBay )
I do try to advise the customer to have new taps, especially if it’s a kitchen mixer that looks old.

Screwfix do sell Bristan valves, not listed in the book but available online. The tap magician box looks good and probably worth buying if you do lots of jobs on call outs.
Not so good if you end up with 1/2 box of unused valves after 6 months.
I like you buy the valves from Screwfix, I also have got a spline finder guide, if the customer isn’t desperate to get their tap repaired I find out which CD valves are required and then order online ( various places including eBay )
I do try to advise the customer to have new taps, especially if it’s a kitchen mixer that looks old.
hi thanks for your comments , ive had a look on screwfix but cant find the bristan ceramic discs do you know the product number
[automerge]1605522941[/automerge]
Thanks for your help , i guess no one on this site has the box ,so maybe thats a sign!!

hi thanks for your comments , ive had a look on screwfix but cant find the bristan ceramic discs do you know the product number
[automerge]1605522941[/automerge]
Thanks for your help , i guess no one on this site has the box ,so maybe thats a sign!!

Screwfix code for Bristan ceramic discs 8367J.
Comes under reviver kits and tap spares on the search.

Also look at www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk they sell a box for £175. 19 pairs of c/discs, 6 pairs of rubber washer valves and a spline finder.

Yes often replacing the tap is the more definite fix and may be not a lot more costly in terms of time and even sometimes materials. Generally I recommend people have installed branded taps with a 5 yr warranty on their cartridges. This makes the issue of replacing tap cartridges a whole lot easier. However replacing cartridges is sometimes necessary as access to replace the whole tap may be difficult or the taps might be particularly expensive, or part of an unbranded bathroom set etc.

Also replacing cartridges can be quicker and cheaper and can be robust. For example not have to agree with customer on taps she or he would like instead. There is the consideration with kitchen taps I appreciate, that the spouts seal with body of the tap may subsequently go. But if this is mounted on a stainless steel sink top that is less of an issue. You are of course also, from a waste and environmental point of view, not throwing out an otherwise perfectly functioning tap with many more years service left in it. The issue is replacing cartridges often is can it be done efficiently. Hence solutions such as Tap Magicians professional pack.

I recently purchased the Tap Magicians Professional pack. I am still assessing. Does not sort many taps. Out of about 3 taps have gone to repair to date, have managed to only repair one with this kit. Still you might as well try a few likely options if have to take the cartridges anyway to measure up.

But note should you use a cartridge you need then to re-order that cartridge to continue to have a full set!
You can though buy their 'basic pack' to more widely replace items in the professional pack without its frills. Also If you register with them you get 25% off replacement parts. Generally I have found them helpful agreeing for example to provide a 1 year gurantee from me installing as opposed to me purchasing the selection box from them.

Tap Magician is also in my experience have the most comprehensive range of ceramic disk cartridges, made available on a well laid out and well documented website. .

Other solutions include 'tap reviver kits' which are basically tap cartridges and handles and the Tap Medic option mentioned above which I interested to check out.

The tap reviver kit approach is good approach as it dispenses with requirment to match up with the existing handle's no of splines with the replacement cartridge. It also of course dispenses with many other requirements to match the cartridge to the handles ie that is cartridge attributes above the cartridges collar. That leaves just below the collar and as many cartridges are ceramic that should be less of an issue. Even compression cartridges will have scope to extend or come with extending washers and so tend to be OK.

The compromise is that you probably wont have an exactly matching handle. However you can often get close. Basically in my experienc there are generally only 3 may be 4 formats of handles: knob, crosshead, lever with lever coming in steel or bone.

Last edited:
I think that’s the box out merchants have, does it come with a spline jig?
Like you say it’s very comprehensive- I never thought of buying my own!

Reply to Tap magician plumbers box in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a kitchen mixer tap with quarter turn levers and the cold side started dripping. I took out the ceramic valve and replaced it with one from Screwfix but it hasn’t solved the problem it still drips. Could it be a dodgy valve or is it something else? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have quarter turn taps in my downstairs bathroom, the sink taps were getting a bit stiff so I replaced the insides with Flomasta 1/2" BSP quarter turn ceramic tap glands from Screwfix. They work fine but are really noisy unless on full flow or trickle, anything in between sounds like Niagara...
Replies
Views
Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is when the neighbours roughly started. Severn Trent were doing bits and bobs out in the street back then but this is probably a coincidence. Our water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock