Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss System Drain Down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicegas

Gas Engineer
So I put a new drain cock valve on my lowest radiator today, my question being why did my open vent system take quite a long time to drain down and a hell of a long time to fill up ?

On the fill up, out of nine rads, the second one when bleeding i could barely hear a tiny tiny hiss. I completely took out the bleed valve and literally no water coming up at all, checked the f and e tank as had filled with x100 and was completely full. Kept on revisiting the rads to bleed and they would build up a tiny bit of pressure then stop. Eventually got them all filled, bout an hour in total!

Any ideas on the problem? does it need a power flush or is it badly installed pipework? Victorian terrace house.

Many thanks.

Muck in the bleed valve hole try pushing a cocktail stick in to clean the hole but make sure you have cloth with you because if it is blocked and you have got the bleed nipple in your hand they never go straight back in, and you do not have enough hands to do the job.

Is it fed from solid-fuel? Is the pipework done in microbore?

prob blocked feed pipe from tank blow through expansion pipe with system turned off see if its easy to blow back into tank

Cheers guys,

Its a Natural Gas system, normal 15mm copper not micro bore. All the radiators took a long time to fill so don't think it can be the bleed valves, If the feed pipe from the tank is partially blocked how can I clear it? Fill with cleanser, leave for a couple of weeks then powerflush, or is there an easier option.

Many thanks for all the respones

Cut it out and replace I'm affraid. Check where the blockage is with a magnet.

500 you should put that in the hints and tips section never though of traving the blockage that way.

Further problem or maybe an associated one, the top two radiators are stone cold, have bled them so they are full, all others are working well, any ideas???

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System Drain Down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
My heat only gas boiler is drained from the boiler drain valve - There is no water in the F&E tank. The hot water vented cylinder is removed. So...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock