Discuss System boiler kw sizing and expansion vessel in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

If we had an idea of system volume I could calculate for you a suitable size. As Shaun says though oversizing a vessel will never cause a problem but an undersized vessel/vessels will.

Many thanks, for my understanding is the additional tank in addition to the integral tank or does the additional one bypass it ? From everything read and from replies no idea why plumber would think that 7L is enough,

Lawrence

A 7Ltr EV with precharge/filling pressures of 1.0/1.5 bar with mean rad temps of 70C will accomodate a system volume of 75 litres with a final pressure of 2.53 bar.
A 7Ltr EV with precharge/filling pressures of 0.8/1.3 bar with mean rad temps of 70C will accomodate a system volume of 85 litres with a final pressure of 2.48 bar.

If room allows why not install a 15/18 litre, if the internal one then fails, the boiler PRV will not lift and you can replace it (if ever) at your leisure.

Cool thanks, so looking like need about 15 overall so would need an additional 8L external vessel to cover things,

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Again, without an idea of system volume we're just guessing but an educated guess suggests a 15/20 litre will be more than enough. As we've discussed too large a vessel is not going to cause system function problems and will also hold a certain amount of reserve water should the system need it, the only downsides to oversizing a vessel are additional cost being larger and space but you said above space is not an issue and there's not going to be much of a difference in cost.

Reply to System boiler kw sizing and expansion vessel in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn...
Replies
Views
R
I have Gledhill 300L unvented water cylinder storage system with Vaillant Boiler. We are using it for UFH and radiators. My plumber has fitted 2...
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
Hello want to know on how do you calculate size of expansion tank for closed heating systems . for example 500 meters of 16mm underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock