Discuss Suspected Leak in Hot Water system vs Cylinder behaviour? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes, you could say "nothing to see here, move on" but is intriguing if nothing else but very few would notice that small change in usage anyway.
Would that period of no usage coincide with heavier cold water usage I wonder.
No water usage at all, I've purposefully not used any water at all for that time period to get a read on the behaviour.

So it's probably likely in normal usage scenarios it's probably letting more water into the tank but, this is an almost fake scenario with no water usage over that time frame.

It's definitely something on the HW side considering if the cold supply to the tank is turned off water usage is exactly zero over the same time period.

Do you know what the main incoming pressure is at your property. It could simply be that in the morning as more people are using water the pressure in the mains is lower, during the day the pressure increases in the main and this pushes through the combination valve and into the expansion vessel capacity, especially if the mains pressure, in the morning, is below what the PRV would shut off on.
If you had a leak of 1 ltr a day it would normally be very apparent quite quickly.
Just a thought.

Something like that but if a PRV is working properly then it should only open if there is some demand for water, however little, and any mains pressure rise shouldn't open it as its balanced unlike a PRV (safety valve) on a boiler which isn't balanced. When used as a Auto Fill valve for system make up (and left open) they must also be drop tight.

1634584037785.png

Last edited:
Do you know what the main incoming pressure is at your property. It could simply be that in the morning as more people are using water the pressure in the mains is lower, during the day the pressure increases in the main and this pushes through the combination valve and into the expansion vessel capacity, especially if the mains pressure, in the morning, is below what the PRV would shut off on.
If you had a leak of 1 ltr a day it would normally be very apparent quite quickly.
Just a thought.
No not sure on my pressure, think I am going to see if I can buy a cheap gauge as that's something I can probably check easily with say my outside tap which is pretty much at the stopcock.

Speaking to my neighbour again with the same Tribune XE his system exhibits similar behaviour although he's not logged it like me..🤣

He is often away and after he has been away for a week (he turns his stopcock off while away) after he returns and puts the water back on his tank 'fills' for a while. 🤔

Reply to Suspected Leak in Hot Water system vs Cylinder behaviour? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock