Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss surestop sales in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dannyg

hi guys not been on for a bit hope everyone is ok question for you im a approved surestop installer and im looking to start selling surestop abit more but just trying to think off a way to approach the public my thought is to do a bit of a door to door sales approach at the min ive tried posting leaflets but dont seem to gain much out of posting but what ive found that works is when ive done a job for a customer then it give me the opportunity to put the leaflet forward and explain it a bit more on how they work so question is do i do door to door or is there any other ways you can recomened thanks

tbh i had few problems with them jamming bypass when shut and get soaked

There's a blank space on the back of the leaflets for you to put your own stamp. You're not just relying on the customer to check the 'Find an Installer' section are you?

Advertise them on your website and your Twitter account.

Try insurance companies as the average claim for leak damage is about 6-7k i think and the install cost is about a ton fifty....

Stand outside B&Q and hand out your leaflets. Get your own back on them.

Perhaps you should set up a working display of one in a stand in a shopping centre like Sky and the AA and the like do, and bring the punters to you instead of you having to chase the punters.

Thanks for the advice guys going try the b&q leaflet and try get people come to me

I dont see it as a huge money earner because

1. they dont work properly (from previous experience a year ago)
2. people assume it is going to cause a lot of disruption
3. a lot more expensive then a stop tap and takes longer to install
4. if it aint broke then why would they fix it?
5. most people know how to turn water off and it is easily accessible, and those that don't, dont care.

But if you push it some what then you could maybe do a few, but i wouldnt imagine it would bring in thousands of pounds!!
as said before, try insurance companies, councils, builders etc.
please dont go door to door, those days have well and truly gone!!

these things will either have there time or not.

All down to TV probably but at the moment, nobody knows what they are!!

how much did they charge you for the priviledge of being a sure stop installer?

Is that money going back into advertising?

how much did they charge you for the priviledge of being a sure stop installer?

Is that money going back into advertising?
They're bringing in an annual registration fee of about ÂŁ50 soon.

Edit: And yes, apparently it's to go towards advertising and running costs of the installer network they're hoping to roll out.

Last edited:
I've fitted a few in the past and can bring in a little bit more cash how do you approach the council and insurance company's

I'd say they're great for old biddies who can't access/turn a stoptap. I'd be looking at advertising to these people.

I've never fitted one personally, but if I did, it would be above a regular stoptap.

I'd say they're great for old biddies who can't access/turn a stoptap. I'd be looking at advertising to these people.

I've never fitted one personally, but if I did, it would be above a regular stoptap.
Several different versions available now, one of which is WRAS approved as a direct replacement for a stopcock. And the compression version is back on sale, at Toolstation anyway.

I agree, for the elderly and infirm who can't get at their stop tap.

Yes mate I always fit them above the stop tap and yhh good idea for old people can any recommend a good way to advertise for normal plumbing work I only work as a plumber part time and looking to go full time at some point soon

Yes mate I always fit them above the stop tap and yhh good idea for old people can any recommend a good way to advertise for normal plumbing work I only work as a plumber part time and looking to go full time at some point soon

Try leafleting an estate of bungalows with a "special offer" on the surestop, listing the benefits etc.

Stand outside B&Q and hand out your leaflets. Get your own back on them.

Perhaps you should set up a working display of one in a stand in a shopping centre like Sky and the AA and the like do, and bring the punters to you instead of you having to chase the punters.

I just looked into doing a stand in a shoppping centre you pay around ÂŁ150-ÂŁ300 per day not cheap.

I just looked into doing a stand in a shoppping centre you pay around ÂŁ150-ÂŁ300 per day not cheap.

thats a bit steep that what are the law about handing out leaflets on a car park or putting them under window wipers do I have to ask for permission first

why do you need to be registered installer to fit one?? i work for insurance company and have fitted loads. there ok, had a couple fail and leak from the cords to the switch also had a couple eaten by rats. all the ones i have fitted have been to elderly who have trouble bending down and also for people with stopcocks in awkward positions, i would try selling using these problems as usp's.

You don't have to be a registered installer they are easy to fit sometimes lol they were doing free installers course at one te so booked my self for it it's just allows you to be put on there website as a approved installer

thats a bit steep that what are the law about handing out leaflets on a car park or putting them under window wipers do I have to ask for permission first

If your going to do it on the street you need to speak to local council to see about local bye laws.

As for putting under wipers the person could claim against you for damages. problably best bet is walking round a scheme and chap some doors and, introduce yourself. Then give them a leaflet and biz card.

This is a good product in the right place, but I would approach it as an "add on" to a job that you are already in the property for, rather than a buisiness opportunity. This will not pay you a living wage. I wouldn't consider paying Surestop to be on their approved list, after all, they are then advertising their product with your money.

The current company that manufacture and sell Surestop are in fact a New Co. born out of the ashes of the first Surestop company that went into administration. The New company have made several major modifications and improvements over the original model, but in my opinion it's still far from perfect. They released a compression version and then withdrew it from sale, which I don't know the reason for but this was madness.
Here's why: most of the properties that require Surestop valves contain elderly people. These same elderly people live in older post war properties and these in turn have their water supplies piped in imperial copper pipe. To fit a Surestop valve with push fit connections to 3/4" copper pipe, requires a 3/4" to 22mm Speedfit straight adapter, then a cutting of pipe and then the Surestop valve. This takes up a hell of a lot of space in an area where space is usually limited. The compression version of the Surestop valve only required a 3/4" compression olive on the pipe, with no adapter or anything else required, which made it much more practical.

Secondly, over a period of months, depending on how hard or soft the water is, these valves don't always fully close. They are supposed to be maintained by the installer who should return on a regular basis to service them. They must be turned on and off fairly regularly to maintain correct operation. This is rarely if ever the case.

There were thousands of these valves fitted here in Clackmannanshire and most have been removed. They just caused too many problems.

Finally, if anyone has any of the original models in stock, the guarantee is void as the new company refuses to honour it. I've still got about 10 of them left and I won't use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
South Lanarkshire council fitted them to every one of their homes under the home happening scheme. I've got one, my former tutor at college said they have had loads of problems with these. He said you got to run the tap then flick the sure stop button to prevent it from breaking. Rather than just flicking a switch the sure stop. Told us to teach folk how to use them.

i fit one every day currently, they are a good idea but most develop problems within a year or two. They are push fit wihich is fine aslong as when its fitted its clipped well both sides otherwise they cause water hammer/jumping issues. Probably best to fit a lever valve after the stop tap most times unless the lever cant be reached by the customer. The remote switch is the only true selling point imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to surestop sales in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock