Search the forum,

Discuss Stuttering power shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnicycleBloke

Hi,

I have recently fitted a new bathroom - a bit of a project for a DIYist like me.

The shower stutters quite a bit, and I'm not sure what is wrong. I suspect air in the hot side, but thought
I'd taken the correct precautions, running water from the supplies through the unpowered pump into a bucket.
To answer initial questions you might have:

- The pump is a Salamander CT50+, and is placed at the base of the hot tank.
- I added a separate 22mm cold supply from the tank to within a foot or so of the pump.
- The hot tank is a regular open-vented one supplied from the cold tank. The supply for taps is taken
horizontally from the top, with a vertical T going up to the vent and down to the taps.
- I added a 22mm Techflange (essentially an Essex flange) to the tank to supply the hot side of the pump.
- The pipes from the pump go up to the loft, across, and down to the valve.
- The valve is a Roper Rhodes single outlet thermostatic job.
- There are short sections of 15mm speed fit to connect the pump to the copper inputs and outputs.

I've seen one or two references to a U-bend in the hot supply. Mine comes out of the tank horizontally and
just bends down to enter the pump vertically. Is that wrong?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Al

Never done it like that but should be ok. Just a thought, Did you flush your pipework out before connecting pump?
Could be filters

There's a strong possibility you should've put a negative head shower pump in there, is the ct50+ a positive head only? Do you have a automatic air vents at the highest point of the feeds to the shower?

Thanks for your comments. It turns out that the shower head had a plastic flow restricter in it which reduced the flow to far below what the pump needs. Maybe with a higher pressure system this would be fine, but the head on mine isn't much. Making the aperture larger seems to have done the trick. Whew! I had visions of having to break into the tiling to remove the valve and clean its integral filters.

Next up, making the hot water and heating independent.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stuttering power shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock